Lou Dempster

Default A couple of newbie questions

Could someone please tell me what a knotical mile is in comparison to
the standard mile. Also what does D/L limited speed: 10.08 kt. and
Disp. Hull Speed: 5.90 kt. mean.
I am just fooling around with a hull designer and would appreciate any
info.
Pat Norton

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote
A nautical mile is 6,080 feet (1853.18 meters)

Not quite. It is 1852 meters precisely.

Joe Parsons

[HAIRSPLITTING=ON]

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 19:57:18 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

A nautical mile is also, precisely, 6,076.12 feet.

That's not precise--that's rounded to two decimals.

A nautical mile is, by definition, precisely 1,852 meters, as mentioned above.

That converts to 6,076.11549 feet (which still is not precise!).

[HAIRSPLITTING=OFF]

I look at it this way - if I can get within four feet of something, I
can holler at it. :)

Now THAT is practical navigation!

Joe Parsons

Short Wave Sportfishing

wrote:

A nautical mile is also, precisely, 6,076.12 feet.

That's not precise--that's rounded to two decimals.

A nautical mile is, by definition, precisely 1,852 meters, as mentioned above.

That converts to 6,076.11549 feet (which still is not precise!).

[HAIRSPLITTING=OFF]

I look at it this way - if I can get within four feet of something, I
can holler at it. :)

Now THAT is practical navigation!

Damn straight! :)

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------
"My rod and my reel - they comfort me."

St. Pete, 12 Lb. Test
Calif Bill

wrote:

A nautical mile is also, precisely, 6,076.12 feet.

That's not precise--that's rounded to two decimals.

A nautical mile is, by definition, precisely 1,852 meters, as mentioned

above.

That converts to 6,076.11549 feet (which still is not precise!).

[HAIRSPLITTING=OFF]

I look at it this way - if I can get within four feet of something, I
can holler at it. :)

Now THAT is practical navigation!

Joe Parsons

Difference between an engineer and a mathematician.

Voluptuous Dallas Cheer leader is standing nekid on the goal line.
The engineer and math nerd are on the other line. Told that the first one
to her gets her. Only restriction is can move only 1/2 the distance to the
goal in any one move. Math nerd says 'won't even start, is an infinite
series and will never get there.'. Engineer is moving and states, 7 moves
and I am close enough for any thing I want to do.

Joe, you a math minor in a business major?
Bill

DSK

Lou Dempster wrote:

Could someone please tell me what a knotical mile is in comparison to
the standard mile. Also what does D/L limited speed: 10.08 kt. and
Disp. Hull Speed: 5.90 kt. mean.
I am just fooling around with a hull designer and would appreciate any
info.

Well, other have answered the nautical mile question, so I'll try the
other two. Displacement hull speed is the highest speed a given hull can
reach when limited to it's wave train. What this means is that the boat is
fully supported by displacement of water (as opposed to planing, where the
boat is supported by hydrodynamic force of water going by under the hull)
and so therefore it has to push water out of the way, making waves. A less
obvious point is that the water has to come back together again as the
boat passes.... in traditional hull design, the key to designing a fast
boat was always said to be to minimize the stern wave.

Displacement hull speed is determined by waterline length. The further
apart the bow & stern waves are, the faster the connected wave train can
move across the surface. At 5.9 knots, the crests of the bow and stern
wave are about 18' 4" apart, so I bet that is the waterline length of the
hull you are designing.

D/L refers to the displacement/length ratio, which can affect whether the
boat is truly limited by it's wave train. A long skinny hull can go faster
relative to it's theoretical hull speed, that's how catamarans and Navy
destroyers reach higher speeds.

Hope this helps.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Off the wall head questions chuck h General 8 December 13th 03 02:06 PM
Newbie 24ft cruiser questions? whenindoubt General 12 October 4th 03 02:27 PM
2 newbie questions... A.C. General 3 September 6th 03 08:46 AM
Newbie to '76 Mercruiser 3.0L. A few Questions. --== Dave ==-- General 0 July 20th 03 06:51 AM
Depth Finder - Two questions Gary Warner General 3 July 8th 03 12:01 AM