Marek \Wayfarer\

Default river guides or trip reports with google maps

Woody inspired me with his Launch Locator
(http://www.kayaktrips.net/gmap.html). I spent a half of day playing
with the Google maps trying to set up something useful for trip reports
or river guides.

A first attempt is for the Dismal River in Nebraska:
http://users.frii.com/uliasz/wayfare...-river-map.htm
It is still under development and I would appreciate any comments or
suggestions. And, yes, it will be possible to read coordinates from the
map as soon as I figure out how.

Actually, this idea is not completely new. I was trying to do something
similar for the Poudre River using GPS maps and Photoshop overlays a
year ago or so:
http://users.frii.com/uliasz/wayfare...tm#poudre_loop

I will try to write something about it when I implement these maps to my
website and, perhaps, prepare some simple templates for downloading.
There are some problems with this google product, e.g., smaller rivers
are not visible on maps and resolution of satellite images is not very
good in some areas.

Marek
http://www.MarekUliasz.com
MikeSoja

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 07:18:48 -0700, "Marek \"Wayfarer\""
posted:

[...]

Very nice, Marek. I've been wondering whether the Google Earth
suite would do what you seem to be doing. I'll have to check it out
further.

For the last year I've been using Quakemap...
http://www.earthquakemap.com/ to suck my paddling tracks from the
GPS and automatically overlay them on the Terraserver satellite/topo
maps, but it only works locally, ie., on my own computer. It won't
allow the same functionality on der web. Also, it doesn't scroll
smoothly, like Google does. One plus, though, is that the
Terraserver maps show better resolution than Google for many areas,
but Google will probably improve on that, at least for the U.S.,
pretty quickly. Also, the various features/roads overlays, and
other flexibilities seem to be very good, too.

Mike Soja