Ree-Yees

Default How to know what prop to get?

So top quality boat driving skills I have managed to hit my prop on some
rocks. One prop is chipped and one is bent about .5 inch on the end. Boat
doesnt have any extra vibrations but top speed has gone from about 40 to
30mph.

I called around to some boat shops asking about repairing the prop and I got
prices ranging from $100 to $140. For that price I would assume I can just
get a new one and keep this one for a spare.

Question is what kind of propeller do I get? My boat is a 1987 sea ray
19foot with a 1987 165hp mercruiser inboard/outboard engine. The current
propeller has 3 blades. Besides that I dont know much about the propeller.

Hopefully there is some guide out there that tells you what size/pitch prop
to get. I would like one that is suited better for top speed than for
acceleration.

Thanks for any advice!
--C

Harry Krause

Ree-Yees wrote:

[...]

Your current damaged prop has a numerical code on it. A prop shop should
be able to tell you what the size of the prop though a phone call. Or,
have them look at the prop and tell you.

$100 to $140 will buy you a new alum prop. A prop shop might have a
used, but reconditioned alum prop for less, or a reconditioned
stainless prop for a little more. Reconditioned props from a reputable
prop shop are fine.
William G. Andersen

Over a hundred sounds high, but it's mostly labor, so prices vary depending
on where you live. The least expensive places for prop repair are those run
by individuals - I found one run by a guy who's retired but goes to the shop
several days a week to pick up a few bucks. Since it's no longer his main
source of income, he's pretty cheap; and since he did it for many years,
he's pretty good.
If you're going to boat in an area where it's likely you'll damage the prop
again, don't just get it repaired. Consider getting a spare prop, maybe a
different size for better performance. People who repaair props usually have
some to sell, can help you select what's best for your kind of boating, and
will let you try it for a couple of days.
If you have a spare and a wrench, you won't have to cut a weekend or
vacation short to get a dinged prop repaired. While you can finish up a day
with a damaged prop, the vibration can cause more damage to the outdrive if
you continue to boat with it for an extended period.

"Ree-Yees" wrote in message
[...]

Ree-Yees

Ive been driving on the damaged prop, but I havnt notice any of the
vibrations that everyone talks about. My speed is definitly decreased but
its still as smooth as when it wasnt damaged.

Hitting the rocks was my own careless error. Hopefully wont happen too
often. Id like to get a new one so that if i broke it all up I would have
the damamged one as a spare to get me home.

Can I take the prop off with just a regular socket wrench?

--C

"Ree-Yees" wrote in message
[...]

Marshall Banana

Also Sprach Harry Krause :

$100 to $140 will buy you a new alum prop. A prop shop might have a
used, but reconditioned alum prop for less, or a reconditioned
stainless prop for a little more. Reconditioned props from a reputable
prop shop are fine.

Respectfully disagree. I bought a reconditioned prop from a well regarded
shop (The Prop Shop in Mukilteo, WA. Pretty much everyone around here
sends their props there. http://www.propshopltd.com/ ) A few months
later, I was out fishing, put it in gear and accelerated
briskly. Suddenly picked up a huge vibration. Figured we picked up a
plastic bag or something, so I tilted up the motor to clear it. I was
shocked to see one blade had broken off at the root. No damage to the
other two blades. We were in 600 feet of water, so I don't think I hit a
rock, and we checked the area carefully for deadheads afterwards. Had to
motor home 5 miles or so with the kicker. It was just outside their
warranty, so they wouldn't do anything for us.

Dan

--
If you love something set it free. If it doesn't come back to you,
hunt it down and kill it.

Jay

Have you tried looking for propeller shops in the area? If you are lucky
enough to have one anywhere around, I'm SURE they're cheaper than anything
that has the name "marine" branded on it..
I had mine (very similar) reconditioned to look almost better than new for
like, 50 bucks.

-j

"Ree-Yees" wrote in message
[...]

Rod McInnis

"Jay" wrote in message

Have you tried looking for propeller shops in the area? If you are lucky
enough to have one anywhere around, I'm SURE they're cheaper than anything
that has the name "marine" branded on it..

What non marine application uses propellers? (other than aircraft, which
wouldn't be cheaper and certainly wouldn't work in this application!)

Rod

Rod McInnis

"Ree-Yees" wrote in message
Ive been driving on the damaged prop, but I havnt notice any of the
vibrations that everyone talks about. My speed is definitly decreased but
its still as smooth as when it wasnt damaged.

I would advise you to stop driving on that damaged prop and get it
repaired/replaced ASAP. You may not be feeling the vibrations but I can
assure you that it is happening, unless you were really lucky and managed to
damage all the blades equally.

If the prop is not in reasonable balance (and even thrust from all the
blades) then the prop shaft will have side loads that it was not designed to
handle. This will eventually wear out bearings and/or seals and can lead to
much bigger problems down the road.

Rod

Ree-Yees

I found one for my boat for $80 used but it looks prefect.

The only difference is my old was was a 17 pitch and this one is a 19. The
boat already took off plenty fast so if I lost a little take off I sure
wouldnt miss it. Wont a 19 give me a higher top end?

How would I know if it was straining my engine?

--Cameron

"Rod McInnis" wrote in message

"Jay" wrote in message

Have you tried looking for propeller shops in the area? If you are

lucky
enough to have one anywhere around, I'm SURE they're cheaper than

anything
that has the name "marine" branded on it..

What non marine application uses propellers? (other than aircraft, which
wouldn't be cheaper and certainly wouldn't work in this application!)

Rod

Force Prop for 50HP outboard Bob La Londe General 2 April 28th 04 02:23 AM
Stainless Prop selection question Christopher Rugg General 2 April 12th 04 09:13 PM
which prop Tony Thomas General 0 July 30th 03 12:35 PM
Prop sizes/performance Steve Lomax General 6 July 23rd 03 11:49 PM
Prop question Frank Taylor, Jr. General 5 July 23rd 03 04:23 AM