Default Sprinkler system

On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 08:09:47 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

If I wanted a 1911 clone that fired .45 ACP, I'd get one. I don't like
the pistols or the rounds much. The.357 MAGs hit harder in self-defense
situations. If I were interested in the .45 ACP round, though, I'd
consider a dual load .45 revolver, like this Ruger Redhawk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfcWPOecspQ

The problem is reliable feeding of a rimmed case in a semi auto.
Certainly there are guns that pull it off but the semi rim seems a lot
easier to feed. The flip side of that is the difficulty of chambering
a semi rim in a revolver without moon clips. Some will headspace off
the case neck but then they can be sensitive to ammo.

wrote:

If I wanted a 1911 clone that fired .45 ACP, I'd get one. I don't like
the pistols or the rounds much. The.357 MAGs hit harder in self-defense
situations. If I were interested in the .45 ACP round, though, I'd
consider a dual load .45 revolver, like this Ruger Redhawk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfcWPOecspQ

The problem is reliable feeding of a rimmed case in a semi auto.
Certainly there are guns that pull it off but the semi rim seems a lot
easier to feed. The flip side of that is the difficulty of chambering
a semi rim in a revolver without moon clips. Some will headspace off
the case neck but then they can be sensitive to ammo.

I understand the technicalities you are describing, but I simply prefer
shooting double action revolvers.

wrote:

If I wanted a 1911 clone that fired .45 ACP, I'd get one. I don't like
the pistols or the rounds much. The.357 MAGs hit harder in self-defense
situations. If I were interested in the .45 ACP round, though, I'd
consider a dual load .45 revolver, like this Ruger Redhawk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfcWPOecspQ

The problem is reliable feeding of a rimmed case in a semi auto.
Certainly there are guns that pull it off but the semi rim seems a lot
easier to feed. The flip side of that is the difficulty of chambering
a semi rim in a revolver without moon clips. Some will headspace off
the case neck but then they can be sensitive to ammo.

I understand the technicalities you are describing, but I simply prefer
shooting double action revolvers.

Revolvers are OK and have rock solid reliability as long as you are OK
with keeping them loaded and only think you will need 5 or 6 shots.
SAs a faster to load, if you store it unloaded, carry more shots and
is flatter if you CCW.
I can argue both sides ;-)
I have both. My most accurate is probably my OM Colt .38 revolver.
Most instinctive to shoot is my 1934 Barretta and in a serious social
situation I want my KP90 Ruger. I also have a Saturday Night Special
double stack Ring of Fire 9mm (Bryco/Jennings 9) that was just an
offer I could not refuse. Surprisingly, it seems to work better than I
would expect.

On 2/26/17 1:05 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 11:44:16 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

If I need more than six revolver shots for personal defense, then I
should have brought a rifle with hi-cap mags. One hit from the .357 MAG
rounds I use should drop a bad guy if it doesn't kill him outright. But
my first go-to firearm for home defense is a shotgun.

My experience with S/A revolvers is that they are not faster to load
than a D/A revolver with a speed loader.

On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 13:31:15 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 2/26/17 1:05 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 11:44:16 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I always hear this but I was never sure why people think it is true.
Handling 2 1/2 feet of shotgun in the confines of a house is not
really that easy. You are just begging for having it taken away from
you unless you are just hiding behind the bed.

My experience with S/A revolvers is that they are not faster to load
than a D/A revolver with a speed loader.

I guess you have never watched any of the IDPA guys.

On 2/26/17 2:00 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 13:31:15 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 2/26/17 1:05 PM,
wrote:
On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 11:44:16 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I doubt I'll encounter one in a gunfight.

On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 14:05:03 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

My experience with S/A revolvers is that they are not faster to load
than a D/A revolver with a speed loader.

I guess you have never watched any of the IDPA guys.

I doubt I'll encounter one in a gunfight.

The point is if you watch the competitions you will see that even
these highly trained shooters take longer to load a revolver than a
semi auto. You also get more rounds in a magazine than a speed loader,
maybe 3x or more.

wrote:

My experience with S/A revolvers is that they are not faster to load
than a D/A revolver with a speed loader.

I guess you have never watched any of the IDPA guys.

I doubt I'll encounter one in a gunfight.

The point is if you watch the competitions you will see that even
these highly trained shooters take longer to load a revolver than a
semi auto. You also get more rounds in a magazine than a speed loader,
maybe 3x or more.

I think Harry thought you meant 'single action' when you used 'SA' way back when. Then Harry began
talking about S/A revolvers as though that's what you meant.

Surely he's not trying to say it's faster to load a revolver, even with a speed loader, than to pop
out and pop in a magazine in a SA.

I thought he was talking about single action revolvers, too. Loading a
double action revolver is faster, as is emptying the spent brass.

When I took my first firearms safety course out at a range off of Route
50 out near Dulles airport, the instructor spent a lot of time
explaining how to clear problems that arise with semi-auto
pistols...stovepipes, failures to fire, et cetera. I had a round jam
tight once in a rented Glock out at a range. I didn't want to mess with
it, so I put the pistol down, facing in the proper direction, and called
over the range officer. He was glad to take care of the problem for me.
You might have an occasional problem with a revolver, but it probably
isn't going to be because of the round.

I don't dislike semi-auto pistols, but if my life depended upon a
handgun, I'd prefer it to be a Smith & Wesson or Ruger .357 Mag double
action revolver. Pull the trigger and it is going to go bang. Knock on
plastic, I never had a problem with the .357s I've owned or just shot
from either manufacturer.