Default MIA - Capt.Skippy and erstwhile Capt. Bruce

Neither has been heard from in weeks. Bruce probably
got nailed by a tsunami at the dock or succumbed to
an exotic venereal diseae while Skippy finally got
PW'd into an extended lubberly, *family* life.

Sad.

I guess I'm the only real sailor still standing...

--
Sir Gregory

"Gregory Hall" wrote in message ...

Neither has been heard from in weeks. Bruce probably
got nailed by a tsunami at the dock or succumbed to
an exotic venereal diseae while Skippy finally got
PW'd into an extended lubberly, *family* life.

Sad.

I guess I'm the only real sailor still standing...

--
Sir Gregory

Well, well. Just as I was reading this (below), who should pop up on
rec.boats.cruising but its resident troll, who's making an appearance today
to stir up some trouble, most likely because things have been a bit quiet
around here lately:

"In the past few years, the science of Internet trollology has made some
strides. Last year, for instance, we learned that by hurling insults and
inciting discord in online comment sections, so-called Internet trolls (who
are frequently anonymous) have a polarizing effect on audiences, leading to
politicization, rather than deeper understanding of scientific topics.

"That’s bad, but it’s nothing compared with what a new psychology paper has
to say about the personalities of trolls themselves. The research, conducted
by Erin Buckels of the University of Manitoba and two colleagues, sought to
directly investigate whether people who engage in trolling are characterized
by personality traits that fall in the so-called Dark Tetrad:
Machiavellianism (willingness to manipulate and deceive others), narcissism
(egotism and self-obsession), psychopathy (the lack of remorse and empathy),
and sadism (pleasure in the suffering of others)."

Read all about it he
http://www.slate.com/articles/health...ychopathy.html,
under the title "Internet trolls really are horrible people"

Here's the abstract from the paper itself:

In two online studies (total N = 1215), respondents completed personality
inventories and a survey of their Internet commenting styles. Overall,
strong positive associations emerged among online commenting frequency,
trolling enjoyment, and troll identity, pointing to a common construct
underlying the measures. Both studies revealed similar patterns of relations
between trolling and the Dark Tetrad of personality: trolling correlated
positively with sadism, psychopathy, and Machiavellianism, using both
enjoyment ratings and identity scores. Of all personality measures, sadism
showed the most robust associations with trolling and, importantly, the
relationship was specific to trolling behavior. Enjoyment of other online
activities, such as chatting and debating, was unrelated to sadism. Thus
cyber-trolling appears to be an Internet manifestation of everyday sadism.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,alt.free.newsservers

On 2/16/2014 14:29, Tdacon wrote:
"Gregory Hall" wrote in message ...

Neither has been heard from in weeks. Bruce probably
got nailed by a tsunami at the dock or succumbed to
an exotic venereal diseae while Skippy finally got
PW'd into an extended lubberly, *family* life.

Sad.

I guess I'm the only real sailor still standing...

I can't followup to your reply to my post because
you were too stupid to delete the sig delineator
and because of your stupidity your comments don't
get repeated because they occur after a sig
delineator.

I'd say a troll is more somebody who is too
stupid to use correct Usenet protocol than
somebody like myself who IS ready willing
and able to do so.

Eternal September is inept enough but even
a decent news server like Altopia is unable
to properly attribute a reply placed after
a sig delineator that some Rube is too stupid
to delete manually even if his crippled client
fails to do it automatically

HTH.

--
Sir Gregory
posted to rec.boats.cruising,alt.free.newsservers

tsk, tsk. Ad hominem

posted to rec.boats.cruising,alt.free.newsservers

On 2/16/2014 14:53, Sn!pe wrote:
Gregory Hall wrote:

[...]

Eternal September is inept enough but even
a decent news server like Altopia is unable
to properly attribute a reply placed after
a sig delineator that some Rube is too stupid
to delete manually even if his crippled client
fails to do it automatically

That's a newsreader function, nothing to do with the server.

Just what don't you ignorant Brits understand about
the word *client?* Duh!

FYI, the client attributes as far as it goes.

However, when a message reply arrives at a server
the server then must re-attribute it.

This is why Google Groups double-spaces everything.
Those idiots at Google who coded GG are too stupid
to do it right and thus the misattribued mess.

On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 12:19:48 -0500, Gregory Hall
wrote:

Neither has been heard from in weeks. Bruce probably
got nailed by a tsunami at the dock or succumbed to
an exotic venereal diseae while Skippy finally got
PW'd into an extended lubberly, *family* life.

Sad.

I guess I'm the only real sailor still standing...

Really? Or evidence of advanced senile dementia? Imagining things
again.... poor old fella, last week he was running all over town with
his arms stretched out going Brooom, Broooom. Now he thinks he's a
sailor...
--
Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok

"Gregory Hall" wrote in message

Neither has been heard from in weeks. Bruce probably
got nailed by a tsunami at the dock or succumbed to
an exotic venereal diseae while Skippy finally got
PW'd into an extended lubberly, *family* life.

Well, partly right.

Every time I left my own computer, I lost access to usenet - and was plenty
busy, otherwise, as well.

I did the equivalent of a minor refit on several houses, and got new
spectacles (arrival in the next couple of days), and dandled all 10 of my
grandchildren, and two of Lydia's, since last heard of. That was spread
around after the real reason for the shore trip, an induction at the
Marietta College Athletic Hall of Fame.

Now I finally get to go through some of the hundreds of pix
unsorted/adjusted/reviewed over the last many months.

Soon I'll be on that great inland route back to Flying Pig and an attempt to
get under way again, trying not to have major gear failure at every sailing
event as in the past year...

Thanks for remembering me :{)) I may YET take you up on that beer, some
time in the next few months.

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any
kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now.
Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

- Etienne Griellet

On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 21:45:48 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

[...]

Don't worry Skip, he'll be sitting right there, in the same spot, no
matter how long it takes you to get there :-)

--
Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok

wrote:

"Gregory Hall" wrote in message

Neither has been heard from in weeks. Bruce probably
got nailed by a tsunami at the dock or succumbed to
an exotic venereal diseae while Skippy finally got
PW'd into an extended lubberly, *family* life.

Well, partly right.

It is a rare thing for me to err!

Every time I left my own computer, I lost access to usenet - and was plenty
busy, otherwise, as well.

I purchased a hot spot from a telecom. It works great. Anywhere where
there is cell phone coverage there is Internet.

I did the equivalent of a minor refit on several houses, and got new
spectacles (arrival in the next couple of days), and dandled all 10 of my
grandchildren, and two of Lydia's, since last heard of. That was spread
around after the real reason for the shore trip, an induction at the
Marietta College Athletic Hall of Fame.

I'd be ashamed if I produced children or grandchildren. Don't you
realize how overpopulated the Earth is. Don't you feel the least
bit guilty being part of the problem and not part of the solution?

Now I finally get to go through some of the hundreds of pix
unsorted/adjusted/reviewed over the last many months.

Soon I'll be on that great inland route back to Flying Pig and an attempt to
get under way again, trying not to have major gear failure at every sailing
event as in the past year...

Forget it, Skippy. You are an official has-been just like Bruce in
Bangkok. Go help Lydia knit some sweaters.

Thanks for remembering me :{)) I may YET take you up on that beer, some
time in the next few months.

I'd be more than happy to buy you several beers but make sure Lydia
stays aboard the "Flying Pig" cooking and cleaning which is all that
females are good for aboard. Better yet, leave her ashore with her
relatives where she belongs and you and I can have a few brews while
looking for some young hotties who actually would enjoy a sailing
adventure under the tutelage of a couple of master mariners.

Sir Gregory

On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 18:30:45 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

Don't worry Skip, he'll be sitting right there, in the same spot, no
matter how long it takes you to get there :-)

Oh be quiet and go look for that missing airliner!