posted to rec.boats.paddle,rec.boats.paddle.touring
JSB JSB is offline

Default Avocet-Montauk

I am new to kayaking. On my son's advise I bought a used Valley Avocet.
I like the the boat's performance, but since I kayak alone often with few
other boats of any kind on the lake, a bit more stability would be
comforting. Also, since I load and unload it alone, a lighter boat would be
appreciated.

I am looking at a carbon-kevlar Impex Montauk. Lighter in weight. That is
nice. Reportedly a bit more secondary stability. Haven't had a chance to
demo one yet.

Opinions on the Montauk. Opinions on the Avocet vs the Montauk. Would this
trade make any sense?

posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 12:40:40 GMT, "JSB" wrote:

I am new to kayaking. On my son's advise I bought a used Valley Avocet.
I like the the boat's performance, but since I kayak alone often with few
other boats of any kind on the lake, a bit more stability would be
comforting. Also, since I load and unload it alone, a lighter boat would be
appreciated.

I am looking at a carbon-kevlar Impex Montauk. Lighter in weight. That is
nice. Reportedly a bit more secondary stability. Haven't had a chance to
demo one yet.

Opinions on the Montauk. Opinions on the Avocet vs the Montauk. Would this
trade make any sense?

I've owned a fiberglass Montauk since latish '01; used it somewhat
extensively (and mostly alone) until late '04; and the sweet young
thang has been using it since. It's a very nice boat.

I've always waited for good weather to go paddling, but a time or two
was caught out in worsening conditions, and was surprised at how
rock-solid the Montauk was. Even with waves breaking over my rear
quarter, I didn't feel the slightest bit tippy.

I only fell out of the boat once, but that was because I was goofing
off, trying to knock a board out of a tree with my paddle.

I ended up changing the backband, and the sweetie reports that the
seat is too hard, but she likes the thigh grips, and otherwise the
boat has more than adequately fulfilled the suitability for which it
was designed.

I've never paddled an Avocet.

Mike Soja

posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring

I paddle an Assateague, which is the biggest boat in the same series as
the Montauk. I enjoy it more than any other boat I have used (which is
not a huge number). It is fast, tracks well, and seems to have very good
secondary stability. (I have not had it in really big water, but I have
had it in substantial chop.) I find it very comfortable. But it has
less primary stability (by design, I think) than many other boats. The
only person I have ever lent it to was my son, a much better paddler
than I, and he really liked it as well.

But all of this is just a recommendation to test it out for yourself.
There is no arguing over tastes, and what one person really likes, you
may not.

I have not paddled an Avocet.

JSB wrote the following on 9/28/2006 8:40 AM:
I am new to kayaking. On my son's advise I bought a used Valley Avocet.
I like the the boat's performance, but since I kayak alone often with few
other boats of any kind on the lake, a bit more stability would be
comforting. Also, since I load and unload it alone, a lighter boat would be
appreciated.

I am looking at a carbon-kevlar Impex Montauk. Lighter in weight. That is
nice. Reportedly a bit more secondary stability. Haven't had a chance to
demo one yet.

Opinions on the Montauk. Opinions on the Avocet vs the Montauk. Would this
trade make any sense?

posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring

Dan Koretz wrote in
:

I paddle an Assateague, which is the biggest boat in the same series as
the Montauk. I enjoy it more than any other boat I have used (which is
not a huge number). It is fast, tracks well, and seems to have very
good secondary stability. (I have not had it in really big water, but
I have had it in substantial chop.) I find it very comfortable. But
it has less primary stability (by design, I think) than many other
boats. The only person I have ever lent it to was my son, a much
better paddler than I, and he really liked it as well.

But all of this is just a recommendation to test it out for yourself.
There is no arguing over tastes, and what one person really likes, you
may not.

I have not paddled an Avocet.

I *have* paddled an Avocet (spent four days in one during a symposium a few
years ago) and have also paddel the Assateague and Currituck but not the
Montauk. I, frankly, didn't find the initial stability to be low at all and
it has good secondary. I wouldn't compare the Montauk to the Assateague as
the latter is over a foot longer and much greater in volume.

If it were me, I'd keep the Avocet and spend the money that would go to a
new Montauk on some instruction. Improving ones bracing skills would give
you more confidence and comfort with the stability of the Avocet.