Default Climbing Beeners in a sea kayak

I can't keep the original beeners that come with tow systems working.
The Aluminiun siezes up and corodes. I have had to replace them all
with brass and stainless clips. Is this common and why do manufacturers
insist on using this stuff. It's no cheaper.

Brian Nystrom

wrote:
I can't keep the original beeners that come with tow systems working.
The Aluminiun siezes up and corodes. I have had to replace them all
with brass and stainless clips. Is this common and why do manufacturers
insist on using this stuff. It's no cheaper.

Climbing 'biners are much lighter and less expensive than comparably
sized stainless boating clips. Their large size make them easy to handle
with cold, wet, gloved hands, which is partly what they're designed for.

Keeping them working in a marine environment isn't difficult. Rinse them
in fresh water after use and lubricate them periodically with a product
designed for wet, corrosive environments. My favorite lube is
CorrosionX, followed by Boeshield T-9. with C'X, I only have to lube
them every 3 months or so. Boeshield requires monthly applications.

If you have some 'biners' that have gotten stiff, soak them in hot water
and work the gates back and forth until they loosen up a bit. Then apply
a liberal amount of lubrication to the hinge and into the recess in the
gate. With a little effort, they'll be as good as new in no time.

A worthwhile modification on any 'biner that's going to be used for
towing is to cut/file the hook off the gate. That prevents it from
snagging on the deck line, especially when you're trying to remove it.
If you do this, DO NOT USE THEM FOR CLIMBING, as cutting off the hook
dramatically reduces the maximum load they can handle. It makes no
difference for towing, but in a climbing fall, 'biners are loaded to
10x, 20x or even higher loads than they'll ever see when used in a tow rig.

The problem with all this is washing another piece of equipment after
every excursion . Thats not happening!
Large stainless biners are costly but the small marine ones cost about
$5.00 Canadian. My climbing biners are much more than that.
I have been on the water three times this week and its Wednesday.
I can't waste time picking at things that shuold have been bomb proof.
We have gotton too used to tolerating this.
Oh Proudly Modest is my daughter. She was on my computer and i forgot
to check the account it was sending on. I also leave the kayak gear in
the car and forget to wash it.
Alex McGruer
Thanks by the way. I now know how to spell biners.

Brian Nystrom

wrote:
The problem with all this is washing another piece of equipment after
every excursion . Thats not happening!

All what washing? It probably takes me an extra ten seconds to rinse the
'biners I use when I'm rinsing the rest of my gear.

Large stainless biners are costly but the small marine ones cost about
$5.00 Canadian.

Try using them with gloves on, especially when your hands are cold and
wet. You'll find that size REALLY matters when your dexterity is limited
by conditions. Also try operating them when you're in rough water.
Again, size REALLY helps. I do these things on a regular basis, so I
know exactly how much difference it makes.

My climbing biners are much more than that.

Climing 'biners suitable for kayaking use are ~$10 Can. Trust me, when
you actually need to use them, they're worth their weight in gold. When
you're fumbling with tiny steel 'biners in an emergency, you'll be
wishing you'd spent a few more dollars on climbing 'biners.

BTW, the best climbing 'biners for use on the water are keylock 'biners,
as they don't have a hook to snag on deck lines. A lower maintenance
option is to use wire gate 'biners, as they have only two parts and the
pivot point is visible and readily accessible. Someone was making a wire
gate keylock 'biner a few years ago, but I'm not sure if they're still
available.

I have been on the water three times this week and its Wednesday.
I can't waste time picking at things that shuold have been bomb proof.
We have gotton too used to tolerating this.

Let's see, I spend a few seconds every time I paddle rinsing 'biners. It
takes ~1 minute to lube them every 3-4 months. Phew, I guess I'd really
better quit wasting so much time! ;-)

Oh Proudly Modest is my daughter. She was on my computer and i forgot
to check the account it was sending on.

OK.

I also leave the kayak gear in the car and forget to wash it.

Shame on you. I can imagine what it smells like! :-(

Alex McGruer
Thanks by the way. I now know how to spell biners.

Well, almost. It should actually be 'biners, since it's short for
"carabiners".

Cyril. I bought four of them.
I actually doubt I will be replacing them soon all the same. They were
on the water all ready and I have left them in the car on purpose. We
will see how this plays out.
Thanks
Alex

posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring

Neoprene is the one that can skank up a car.
My Polypro is not to bad as our weather on the ocean is never realy
that hot.
The Neoprene though. I have had to leave the booties and wet suit in
the boat or tied on the straps holding the boat to dry out.
I have been testing a lubricant, Fluid Film , on the biners . They are
still not on the tow systems; but fluid film does not damage Latex, it
stains fabric but does not damage the fadric or the plastics and nylon
.. It seems to be holding out and may be an answer. I am still mot going
back to aluminum or alloy biners in my sea gear any time soon though.
Alex