Default Anything wrong with CHB trawlers ?

I have a chb 1981 34 ft tri cabin. Water continues to come into the bilge. Residual 4 to 5 gallons after float switch removes the rest. I have removed the holding tank and am draining the fresh water tank to inspect. Any one have this problem?
Junior Member

Location: San Francisco bay area

On Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 3:30:37 PM UTC-8, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 21 Feb 2017 10:34:21 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I have a chb 1981 34 ft tri cabin. Water continues to come into the bilge. Residual 4 to 5 gallons after float switch removes the rest. I have removed the holding tank and am draining the fresh water tank to inspect. Any one have this problem?

4 to 5 gallons seems like a lot but there is always some back flow
after the bilge pump stops running. The amount of water in the pump
plumbing from the pump to the outlet will flow back into the sump.

It may not be your problem but it is a place to start looking.

--
Cheers,

John B.

I realize I am coming into this conversation years after it was started, but a Google search uncovered it for me. I lived about and sailed a 37 foot ferrocement sloop for 2 years, living up and down the coast of California. I did make it to Hawaii twice, Mexico many times, and Costa Rica once for a prolonged stay. Then I sold the boat and was boatless for about 20 years and have just bought a 38 foot CHB Heritage trawler located in Vallejo, CA. she appears to be a well built boat with a dry bilge and two Volvo-Penta turbocharged diesels as well as a 7.5 KW Onan genset.

Looking to correspond or meet others in the SF Bay area that have similar boats or just boats in general that want to talk boats. I am 72, my wife is 65 and we are both retired and living in Clayton, CA. We have not moved the boat from the slip yet but are loading our necessaries on the boat for a move to discovery Bay shortly. I have never piloted a twin engine boat of this size, my only experience was a river boat in Vietnam many, many years ago. docking was virtually non-existent for us there.

I have what my wife calls common sense but she may be wrong. She is a Nurse Practitioner that now diagnoses me on a daily basis since she no longer cares for Veteran patients at the VA.

Feel free to email me at if you wish to talk about your boat, straighten me out, or just call me crazy for buying another boat.
Andy

Converting commercial trawlers Cal Vanize Cruising 24 January 22nd 07 07:27 AM
Trawlers and Slow boats group boater435 Cruising 15 September 23rd 05 12:25 PM
Trawlers and Slow boats group boater435 General 15 September 23rd 05 12:25 PM
CHB Trawlers Rick General 5 June 22nd 04 05:00 PM
Trawlers in Paradise Gary Shorrel General 1 September 5th 03 05:26 PM