Sven

Default Tiller and outboard - which one controls ?

Yet another question from this new Ericson 23' owner ...

We just took it out for a shakedown cruise ... very satisfying and
promising.

The only part that threw me (apart from an outboard throttle handle that
literally fell off in mid-channel !) was the problem of handling _both_
a tiller and the 5 hp Nissan outboard at the same time. I've done lots
of sailing on dingies without outboards, on dingies where you removed
the rudder when you used the ouboard, and on inboard-equipped boats much
too large to use an outboard except as a possible emergeny
get-me-home-bailout option. I've never befor tried to use both at once.

Suffice it to say that I felt less than competent as I tried to manage
the tiller while at the same time holding the outboard throttle to both
stear and control speed.

The throttle has a bunch of duct tape on it, probably to make up for a
lacking setscrew so you can set and forget the speed setting ? What can
I say, the motor is definitely used and I'm just impressed it runs
reliably :-) Once I dig through the duct tape, should I find such a
setscrew or is there some other secret to holding the throttle setting
in place ?

How about set and forget outboard direction ? I've had my life saved by
an outboard that swung tight starboard once I was no longer holding on
to the control, but in this case I'd really prefer to have the outboard
just point straight ahead if that's what I set it to. Should I be able
to adjust some friction clutch so the outboard doesn't turn once I let
go of it ?

Ideally I'd like to have a removable linkeage between the tiller and the
outboard so that the tiller would turn both the rudder and the outboard.
Are there such linkeages available or would I have to create one ?

Are there remote, cockpit-mounted outboard speed controls for motors as
small as this Nissan 5 hp ?

Insights and asnwers appreciated.

Thanks,

-Sven
Garry Beattie

Sven.

Tighten up your outboard locking bolt (that stops it from turning side to
side) Don't totally lock it off, just make it tight enough so that it will
continue to point straight ahead, but can still be turned in case of an
emergency.

Once you start your motor you should be able to throttle up and leave the
throttle alone. It should stay at the same revs as you left it.

You then set the revs for the desired speed and steer with your tiller. You
should not have to touch the outboard again until you want to adjust the
throttle or turn it off.

Best regards
--
Garry Beattie
Ocean Spirit Trailer Sailer &

"Sven" wrote in message
news
[...]

Sven

Hi Garry,

In article ,
"Garry Beattie" wrote:

Tighten up your outboard locking bolt (that stops it from turning side to
side) Don't totally lock it off, just make it tight enough so that it will
continue to point straight ahead, but can still be turned in case of an
emergency.

Apparently it is under the cowling somwehere. I kept looking for it
below the motor head, on the shaft collar.

Once you start your motor you should be able to throttle up and leave the
throttle alone. It should stay at the same revs as you left it.

Time to strip off the duct tape and see if I can find the missing set
screw and replace it. Right now the engine goes straight to idle from
any other speed as soon as I let go.

I think I need to see if I can find an on-line Nissan 5 hp outboard
manual :-)

Thanks again,

-Sven
John R Weiss

"Sven" wrote...

Once I dig through the duct tape, should I find such a
setscrew or is there some other secret to holding the throttle setting
in place ?

Yes. Most/all outboard motors have an adjustable throttle friction. You may
have to find the owner's manual to find the specific configuration for your
motor.

How about set and forget outboard direction ? I've had my life saved by
an outboard that swung tight starboard once I was no longer holding on
to the control, but in this case I'd really prefer to have the outboard
just point straight ahead if that's what I set it to. Should I be able
to adjust some friction clutch so the outboard doesn't turn once I let
go of it ?

Again, yes. There should be a friction adjustment on the fitting that holds the
shaft to the mount.

How you set this depends on your specific installation. On my San Juan 7.7 I
had the motor permanently set straight ahead. The rudder was powerful enough to
swing the boat whether in forward or reverse.

Your idea of a removable linkage to the rudder sounds interesting. I suspect
you'll have to improvise...

matt colie

Sven,

I did this.

The pivot end balls were on the gas strut rack at BoatUS, and the relay
rod was modified from the proportioning valve of a Dodge truck (look
around wrecking yards). I put a ball on the outboard tiller and an
other on a bracket on the tiller. I had to make an extention in the
middle of the link rod.

The other thing I did was drill the shift handle for the hiking stick,
so I can use that as an extended shift lever. I can manuver the boat at
idle.

Matt Colie A.Sloop "Bonne Ide'e" S2-7.9 #1
Lifelong Waterman, Licensed Mariner and Pathological Sailor

John R Weiss wrote:

"Sven" wrote...

snip
How you set this depends on your specific installation. On my San Juan 7.7 I
had the motor permanently set straight ahead. The rudder was powerful enough to
swing the boat whether in forward or reverse.

Your idea of a removable linkage to the rudder sounds interesting. I suspect
you'll have to improvise...

Schoonertrash

If nothing else works use a bungee cord to lash the OB tiller down but in
such a way as you can unhook it easily. Then steer with the rudder tiller.
A side bit of information. My Yamaha T-9 has a conversion which moves the
shift and throttle controls to the end of a six foot cable. The OB is
locked permanently in position.

MST

jw

There will be a friction throttle adjustment at the end of the handle.
Forget using the motor to steer. lash down the motor and use your rudder.
"Sven" wrote in message
news
[...]

FS: 2004 25 HP MERCURY OUTBOARD IN MA cohenandy Marketplace 0 March 1st 04 08:42 PM
FS: 2004 MERCURY 25 HP OUTBOARD in MA cohenandy Marketplace 0 March 1st 04 02:13 PM
FS: new 2004 25 HP Mercury outboard in Mass. cohenandy Marketplace 0 December 19th 03 07:08 PM
Tiller control Parallax Cruising 12 October 17th 03 07:47 PM
Converting to a tiller Tony Thomas General 1 July 16th 03 01:33 AM