DSK

Default Offensive Post

First, I apologize for my part in continuing the offensiveness. It was
perhaps a mistake to treat "JAXAshby" and "BinaryBill" as deserving any
reply, for reasons that they make obvious.

(Bob Whitaker)wrote:
Most newsgroups have many long standing feuds, and
"rec.boats.cruising" appears to be no exception. Such a shame.

Brian Whatcott wrote:
My problem arises because I had access to arpanet-style newsgroups
fifteen years ago, for a spell. People mis-spoke then, as now.

But when they did, you can be sure that people spoke up and let their
distaste be known. So the level stayed civilized.

I don't feel the need to invite guttermouths into my study even now,
but when they arrive, I believe I would be well-served as would you,
to let them know how I feel about their stuff.

The problem here is that these two clowns (if indeed they are two
different people, my suspicion is that they are both sock puppets) are
more entertained by outraged & offended reactions. My intention was to
try and pretend it was a serious discussion and maybe some good would
come of it all. Best thing to do with trolls is ignore them though.

DSK

bb

Default Best 34 foot blue water cruiser

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 07:53:38 -0500, DSK wrote:

bb wrote:
I thought you were discussing Chuck's boat. What kind of boat does
Doug have that you find so offensive?

Same as Chuck's.

Seems ok to me. Actually makes a lot of sense. Wish I had one and
just might some day.

bb
JAXAshby

Default Best 34 foot blue water cruiser... Jax warning

dougies? you do not now remember you claimed you trailered your Nimrod 19 275
miles (you were specific as to miles) and that you considered this a feat of
derring do?

tipping the cups last night, were you?

yes, dougies said that.

It's as true as the rest of Jax's posts.... ie only a fantasy...

Ask Jax about the scary rocks around Cape Hattaras, or submarines
attacking Seattle.

DSK

Dan Best

Damn, talk about a tempest in a teapot.

From the vitriolic exchange that has been flying back and forth the
last couple of days, I thought it was gonna be something **UGLY**. It's
certainly not something I'd put on my boat, as it just looks too fake
(something about the wide open cabin directly underneath it), but it's
hardly anything worth wasting band width or raising your blood pressure
over.

You guys need to go play with your respective boats. Are they still
covered in snow where you live or something?

bb wrote:

BTW here are some pictures

http://community.webshots.com/album/63279185YQtgSA

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

--
Dan Best - (707) 431-1662, Healdsburg, CA 95448
B-2/75 1977-1979

Gould 0738

It's a Sundowner 36. I think the same designer also worked on the AMC
pacer when he wasn't moonlighting for Fisher Price.

The Sundowner line, (30, 32, 36), was drawn by Jack Sarin.

Here's a link where you can view some of the other AMC Pacers he has been
turning out.........

http://www.jacksarin.com/sarin/index.html

DSK

Gould 0738 wrote:
The Sundowner line, (30, 32, 36), was drawn by Jack Sarin.

Here's a link where you can view some of the other AMC Pacers he has been
turning out.........

http://www.jacksarin.com/sarin/index.html

Thanks for the link Chuck... never saw this before.

That Guardian 85 is a very cool looking boat. I wonder what it's fuel
consumption is? It is interesting that he has done so many gov't service
and commercial vessels... much more demanding IMHO

Doug King

otnmbrd

G I kinda "like" the stack.

otn

DSK wrote:
bb wrote:

I thought you were discussing Chuck's boat. What kind of boat does
Doug have that you find so offensive?

Same as Chuck's.

Of course, BittyBill has never seen it in real life. This makes him an
expert... as much as all the rest of his non-real-life crapola.

BTW here are some pictures

http://community.webshots.com/album/63279185YQtgSA

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Gould 0738

I notice he's so embarrassed by his "Sundowner designs" that he is
careful not to mention them, even briefly, on his website. Very smart
on his part. T

The Sundowners were designed over 20 years ago. The site features his more
recent work.

The Sundowner pilot house looks like a late 1950's
California fast food joint. All it needs is a little neon framing the
windows, and maybe some golden arches for the deluxe model. Would you
like some fries with that? LOL!

Thank Providence I'm only cursed with a morphodite boat. A person may not
always own what he currently owns, but he will always be what he is.

You did say, "Supersize me?" :-)
Frank Maier

(Bob Whitaker) wrote: Frank Maier wrote:

I'm a big fan of the Freedom line; so, my recommendation
would be an early 80s Freedom 32, with a sugarscoop added
to make it a 34.

Hello Frank,

Thanks for the input. What are the features you like most about them?
Is it their sailing characteristics? Is it your familiarity with them
and loyalty to your first love? (a perfectly valid reason ) Is it
their strength? Workmanship? Have you been caught in nasty weather in
one? How did it handle? I know that this is a question without a
single answer. There's probably as many answers to this question as
there are 34 foot models out there. But it would be fun compiling a
list of the top 10, and the reasons why their owners felt that way. I
may try to post another thread one of these days, seeing as the
original post quickly turned to a mud-slinging festival.

Thanks,

Bob Whitaker
"Free Spirit"

Without doing a Ph.D. dissertation length post, I'll state that, as a
class, I don't like heavy displacement cruisers. In your subject line
you allude to "blue water cruisers." That's what got you and Doug King
at loggerheads. From reading his posts over the years, I find that I
tend to agree with Doug much of the time. You also meantioned the
Crealock 34, a boat which, IMHO, falls into this category, a boat
which I would *hate* to sail on. So, those are my prejudices for you
to factor into my comments.

Also like Doug, the idea of a "project boat" is anathema to me; but I
understand that we're all different; and if it's something you enjoy,
then good for you.

The boat which owns my heart, my "Platonic ideal" best boat, is the
Freedom 38. I fell in love with Freedoms after about 20 years of
sailing, both racing and cruising. When Garry Hoyt/Freedom/TPI
produced these boats, it was, for me, an epiphany. Holy ****! Why
hasn't this been done before? Well, it sorta had been. Catboats have
been around for quite a while. Just materials, like carbonfiber masts,
and specifics of design were the innovations which Hoyt gave us with
the Freedom line. To give you a "sales pitch" for the idea of buying a
Freedom 32...

The single "best" feature of Freedoms is their single-handing ability.
Even the 'chute can be flown by one person, launched and doused from
the cockpit. Their construction is second to none (built by TPI). They
have no standing rigging, which means no holes through your deck to
admit water, nothing to break, and nothing to replace every decade or
so. I've never sailed a 32 specifically. I've been in pretty nasty
squally weather on a 30 and a 36 (which is the 38 without the
sugarscoop). Thye use single-line reefing, which again speaks to
convenience for a single-hander and makes it easy to respond swiftly
to deteriorating conditions. (Or easy to catch up if you kinda stay
overcanvassed too long and get behind. Something which I have a
tendency to be guilty of.)

There are a lot of fine boats out there; but Freedom is at/near the
top of my personal list. However, like I said, given my prejudices,
the Crealock, Cape Dory, et al. are boats which are nowhere near my
list, not even at the bottom, although you and many others find them
attractive.

Good luck,

Frank

Water systems on my boat - need suggestions, please. Adam Boat Building 10 May 10th 04 03:53 PM
Harry's lobster boat? Gould 0738 General 3 December 23rd 03 07:24 AM
Where to find ramp stories? designo General 15 December 9th 03 09:57 PM
Fresh Water Tank Lou Cragin Cruising 6 December 8th 03 09:23 AM
Hot Water Dispenser Conor Crowley Cruising 11 October 28th 03 08:42 PM