Bob La Londe

Default Mercury Inboard Jet

So talk to me. How bad is it to suck sand and weeds through the pump?

How expensive would the repair be?

I am considering buying a new Tracker 185 Jet with the 175 HP mercury
inboard jet for running the river. Basically it lighter than my Skeeter and
has no skeg to hit when I go over a sand bar.

Since its both longer and lighter I figure less draft as well.

I know its not as fast, but I figure I could use the Jet for exploring the
river and then use the Skeeter for fishing tournaments.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

Larry Hill

They are great boats! If the intake gets blocked the grate drops automatically
to let the crapola out.Very reliable and trouble free.From the power head down
is all stainless.
Larry Hill

I am considering buying a new Tracker 185 Jet with the 175 HP mercury
inboard jet for running the river.

Grumman-581

I have a boat with the Mercury 175 hp SportJet engine... I haven't had any
freshwater weeds clock the jet, but I have had some seawead clog it while
offshore... Mine does not have a way to automatically get rid of it, so I
have to jump over the side, swim under the boat, and clear it by hand...
Since I'm usually going offshore for diving anyway, this is not a big
deal... I understand that the newer boats have a way to automatically clear
the grate...

The only thing that I have had clog it during freshwater operations was a
tubing tow rope that my S.O. drove over when she was pullng me... It wrapped
around the impeller and was not fixable while in the water... I had to get a
friend that was out with us on a jet ski to give me a tow back to shore and
once home, I was able to get it untangled in an hour or so by taking the
grate off and unwinding it from the impeller...

I've found that you can get into some really shallow areas with a jet
boat... I think my boat has a 10" draft (don't remember if that is up on
plane or just sitting still in the water), but it definitely has less of a
draft while up on plane since I've been in places where I was able to easily
maneuver while on plane, but when I powered down, it settled on the
bottom...

Larry

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 21:10:02 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

So talk to me. How bad is it to suck sand and weeds through the pump?

Think about sucking up sand, pressurizing it to a hundred pounds and
forcing it into the flimsy bearing seal keeping water and SAND out of
the main rear bearing behind the impeller (prop). Sound expensive?

Sport Jets are NOT SHALLOW WATER FISHING BOATS WITH FILTERED INTAKES!

How expensive would the repair be?

The zinc costs $90. The rear seal rubber thingy behind the impeller
that keeps pressurized water out of the pump cone is $36. If you
gotta ask how much the bearing is, you can't afford it.

I am considering buying a new Tracker 185 Jet with the 175 HP mercury
inboard jet for running the river. Basically it lighter than my Skeeter and
has no skeg to hit when I go over a sand bar.

Put it out of your mind.....get a jetboat MADE for river running. The
impeller in the Sport Jet runs about 4000 RPM 1/8" in front of a whole
circle of cast aluminum STATOR (stationary) vanes that take the swirl
out of the flow. Imagine the effect a 1/2" rock wedged between the
whirling impeller and the sturdy, but stationary stator will have on
the pump's health.

SPORT JET MANUAL STATES YOU ARE NOT TO GO INTO WATER UNDER TWO FEET
DEEP BELOW THE INTAKE GRATE.

Since its both longer and lighter I figure less draft as well.

My 16' Sea Rayder with that Sport Jet in it draws about 11" of water
which allows me to SAFELY go into water that is 2' 11"
deep.....SAFELY.

I know its not as fast, but I figure I could use the Jet for exploring the
river and then use the Skeeter for fishing tournaments.

Mine goes 60 with me in it. 54 with me and a honey headed out to the
beach with a few toys and cooler of fine English ale. We never ride
that way because it will beat you to death hitting waves that fast.
35-40 is still pretty fast and easier on the equipment at about 3800
RPM with one aboard and 4100 RPM with 2.

You will be sorely disappointed trying to use ANY Mercury Sport Jet in
ANY boat sucking debris, sand, mud and oh...awful....WEEDS off the
bottom. There is NO REVERSE to clear weeds from the prop on a jet.
Merc came up with a neat little intake grate that is spring loaded so
the pump sucks in the weeds, chops them up and spits them out the
back....instead of you having to get out, go under and pull the weeds
out of the intake grate that's put you DEAD IN THE WATER.....

Do not buy this boat for your purpose.......There ARE filtered
jetboats with DIFFERENT pumps that are made for digesting rocks, sand,
etc......not the Sport Jets.

Larry W4CSC

"No, NO, Mr Spock! I said beam me down a WRENCH,
not a WENCH! KIRK OUT!"