Bob

Default Oil drain hose kits?

Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, with oil drain kits where
you attach a fitting/hose to your oil pan's drain plug? For example
the one shown in the link below:

http://www.overtons.com/cgi-bin/over...il.cgi?26164++

Seems once this is installed, oil changes would be a breeze since you
would not have to deal with trying to suck oil out of the dipstick
tube

Thanks!
Bob
Joe Blizzard

Speaking of making oil changes easier, my Merc 165 has a spin on filter
stuck on the side. It's the white thing on the left in this photo:
http://users.adelphia.net/~blizzard3...ges/engine.jpg

Is there any easy way to change that without making a mess?

bomar

I stick a plastic disposable paint roller tray cover under my oil filter
before I remove it.
Small enough to fit under everything, big enough to catch drips, and really
cheap.

"Joe Blizzard" wrote in message
Speaking of making oil changes easier, my Merc 165 has a spin on filter
stuck on the side. It's the white thing on the left in this photo:
http://users.adelphia.net/~blizzard3...ges/engine.jpg

Is there any easy way to change that without making a mess?

Joe Blizzard

"bomar" wrote
I stick a plastic disposable paint roller tray
cover under my oil filter before I remove it.

Good thinkin'. I use an old cookie sheet under the engine when I change oil.
It keeps it from dripping into the bilge, but I still have clean up the
block and oil pan where it runs down the side from the filter.

It's not as bad as my Taurus, which has a frame member directly under the
filter so that oil runs down the frame and drips over an area that's bigger
than any of the pans I have.

Keith

Punch a hole in the top before you change it. That will allow at least some
of the oil to drain back into the engine. Then loosen it, wrap a Ziploc bag
around it with some paper towels inside, then unscrew it and let the
remaining oil drain into the bag, then seal it up and trash it.

--

Keith
__