tonycougar

Default Volvo Penta outdrive question

Hi,

I was given a boat with a Volvo Penta 270 outdrive and an AQ125 motor.
The outdrive was rebuilt and stored but the motor was left outide in
the boat for a few years and is most likely shot.

My question is what else would bolt right up to the outdrive? I was
looking for used or possibly rebuilt. Thanks.

Tony
Bob D.

Hi Tony,

My guess is probably nothing, but a volvo engine will bolt up. If it were
a Volvo 5.7 (AQ250?), then you should be able to replace the block with a
mercruiser equivelant. The AQ125 might be like my AQ131, which is a
volvo truck engine, modified for marine use.

Aren't you putting the cart before the horse here by assuming the engine
is shot? The volvo inline 4s are tough little motors. Change the
crankcase oil. Take the plugs out, fill the holes with kerosene, let for
a few days. Come back try to turn the crankshaft by hand. If you get a
full turn out of the crankshaft without binding, put some oil in the plug
holes and tap the starter. Keep putting oil in those cylinders and
tapping the starter for a a few times.
Once she turns, put the plugs in connect a fresh fuel source and and try
to start her up. If you get her running, spray a few cans of fogging oil
down her carb in hopes of eliminating/minimizing any sticky valve
problems.

My thought is this is a free boat. If you can avoid dumping thousands of
dollars into the boat before ever getting it out on the water, do so.
Even if you suspect the engine is not up to snuff, you can still take
precautions by having the necessary communucations equipment and
insurance, and staying close to shore, inspecting/changing the crankcase
oil often, and not pushing the engine while underway. Who knows, you
might get lucky and the engine will give you reliable service without
having to dump a ton of money into it.

Bob Dimond

In article , tonycougar
wrote:

Hi,

I was given a boat with a Volvo Penta 270 outdrive and an AQ125 motor.
The outdrive was rebuilt and stored but the motor was left outide in
the boat for a few years and is most likely shot.

My question is what else would bolt right up to the outdrive? I was
looking for used or possibly rebuilt. Thanks.

Tony

Bob D.

Is the AQ131 the same? I thought the block was based on a Truck application.