Youtube

Old November 15th 09, 12:03 PM posted to rec.boats.paddle
Bob CP

Default Youtube

John Kuthe wrote:
On Nov 14, 9:45 pm, Davej wrote:
On Nov 14, 8:41 am, John Kuthe wrote:

On Nov 14, 7:39 am, (Paul Tomblin) wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A98MgTHCK8
I'm sorry Paul, but I would NEVER be caught in a boat on the water
without at least my PFD!

I see quite a few fla****er racers who don't wear PFDs during
training.

Too cool for PFDs, eh? Hope they never need one!

John Kuthe...

I confess that I'm not wearing a PFD in a couple of my technique videos.
I rarely wear one doing a fla****er workout, especially in the summer.
Nipple burn, you know. Of course the section of river that I use is
only 75 ft wide and during the summer, only 3 ft deep. When the (flat)
water is really shallow, I'll wear a helmet, but no PFD. And so far, in
35+ years of paddling, I haven't fallen over in flat water unless I was
trying big pivot moves (where I rolled).
Old November 15th 09, 01:34 PM posted to rec.boats.paddle
Cricket[_2_]

"Bob CP" wrote in message
John Kuthe wrote:
On Nov 14, 9:45 pm, Davej wrote:
[...]

I don't wear one in rockless, slow, shallow, *warm* water usually. They
make it so much harder to manuvuer that I'm more likely to go in with one
on.

If they made one that fit me, I'd be more liable to wear it, but I've
methodically tried on every one offered anywhere nearby, and none have come
close. The only ones that come close are for kids, and kids don't have
boobs. Sigh. Nor twenty-six years of shoeing horses worth of back and
shoulder muscles.

I grin and bear it if it's cold or in faster water (or if I'm out with
people that I feel I might have to go in after...which I avoid, as they tend
to scramble up your body and sit on your head, necessitating knocking them
out cold to get a grip - and nobody appreciates that... ;). But the misery
of wearing one where the odds are really, really long against a problem
isn't worth it.

I figure life is all odds, and a 1% chance of something happening isn't
worth being miserable all day for - a 30% chance - yeah, I'll wear one, and
just bitch a lot.

Cricket

Old November 15th 09, 02:51 PM posted to rec.boats.paddle
John Kuthe

On Nov 15, 6:03*am, Bob CP wrote:
John Kuthe wrote:
On Nov 14, 9:45 pm, Davej wrote:
[...]

PFDs are not for the plethora of times when you don't need one, they
are for the ONE time when you DO need them!

And in that one time a PFD can save your life. To me,. that's worth
nipple burn! (Or I just wear a light synthetic shirt!)

John Kuthe...
Old November 15th 09, 03:41 PM posted to rec.boats.paddle
Davej

On Nov 14, 10:21*pm, John Kuthe wrote:
On Nov 14, 9:45*pm, Davej wrote:
On Nov 14, 8:41*am, John Kuthe wrote:
On Nov 14, 7:39*am, (Paul Tomblin) wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A98MgTHCK8

I'm sorry Paul, but I would NEVER be caught in a boat on the water
without at least my PFD!

I see quite a few fla****er racers who don't wear PFDs during
training.

Too cool for PFDs, eh? Hope they never need one!

Well, they all claim to be excellent swimmers and point out that
rowers never use them. I, being a poor swimmer, always wear an
inflatable in warm weather.
Old November 15th 09, 03:58 PM posted to rec.boats.paddle
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, John Kuthe said:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ptomblin

I'm sorry Paul, but I would NEVER be caught in a boat on the water
without at least my PFD!

Well, to each his own. I had a really bad gouge on my back and a couple
of paddling shirts stained with my blood from my PFD, which I wear when
I'm paddling alone or in cold water. When I'm paddling in a group or in a
race in warmish water, the PFD lives on the back deck of my boat where I
can put it on while waiting for the safety boat. And yes, I've tested
that I can do this while keeping control of the boat and the paddle.

Next you'll be telling me my race boat needs sp*ns*ns.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
I mean, if went 'round saying I was a perl hacker, just because some
Old November 15th 09, 04:42 PM posted to rec.boats.paddle
Steve[_2_]

Davej wrote:
On Nov 14, 11:14 am, Steve wrote:
What struck me was no PFD's; PFD's worn loosely; cotton shirts; paddles
held upside down.... Did look like they were having fun though.

I'm guessing that was a "wing" paddle.

No, I saw the wing.
Old November 16th 09, 12:33 AM posted to rec.boats.paddle
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Steve said:
Davej wrote:
On Nov 14, 11:14 am, Steve wrote:
What struck me was no PFD's; PFD's worn loosely; cotton shirts; paddles
held upside down.... Did look like they were having fun though.

I'm guessing that was a "wing" paddle.

No, I saw the wing.

I'm guessing you're commenting on the Wednesday Night Time Trial video
rather than one of mine. Yeah, it's pretty low key and a lot of
non-racers show up, which is great. The course is 2 miles, one mile on
a section of the bay that is barely 4 feet deep and the other mile on the
creek which is barely 10 feet wide and most of it about 3-5 feet deep in
the middle and shallower towards the edges. For the last one of the
season, we had more than 70 paddlers - it was a bit of a zoo, but it was
fun.

Compare and contrast with the Rochester Open Water Challenge video where
we had much more difficult conditions, professional and amateur races
including Reed Hyle, Jason Quagliatta and Jim Mallory, and everybody wore
PFDs.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
One distinguishing characteristic of BOFHen is attention deficit disorder.
Old November 29th 16, 11:46 AM posted to rec.boats.paddle

On Thursday, November 12, 2009 at 10:33:37 PM UTC+5:45, Davej wrote:
Ok, so who here is actually a visible paddler on a Youtube video?

Youtube moment... Wizard of Woodstock General 0 June 5th 09 04:37 PM
SW Tom on YouTube! HK General 0 November 30th 07 02:59 PM
Download YouTube and convert YouTube video to iPod, iPhone, Zune, PSP bluesealover Cruising 0 September 10th 07 08:54 PM
Oz sailing his big cat on Youtube Joe ASA 2 June 16th 07 04:49 AM
YouTube thunder General 3 November 1st 06 12:15 AM