posted to alt.sailing

Default Tall Ship Movies Recommendation

I enjoy watching movies involve Tall ships in open seas (all
genres).
Can you recommend some great movies of such? thanks.
posted to alt.sailing

ccnlc1 wrote:
I enjoy watching movies involve Tall ships in open seas (all
genres).
Can you recommend some great movies of such? thanks.

Around Cape Horn
Master and Commander
Hornblower Series (A&E)
Captain Ron (not tail ships, but a good sailing movie)

cheers,
/dkb

posted to alt.sailing

"ccnlc1" wrote in message

I enjoy watching movies involve Tall ships in open seas (all
genres).
Can you recommend some great movies of such? thanks.

There was a good tv series documentary called "Tallship Chronicles." Not a
movie, but you definitely do learn a lot about how things work on a tallship
as it sails the oceans.

Here is the WIkipedia entry for it :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tallship_Chronicles

Tallship Chronicles was a television series produced in Canada in 2001 and
2002. It followed the training of Canadian journalist and actor Andrew
Younghusband on an 18-month sail training voyage around the World, on the
barque Picton Castle.

Originally, a new episode was aired approximately once per month. Some of
the individuals in the show are the ship's professional crew while the many
are trainees who joined the ship to travel or learn about tall ship sailing.
The number of crew when the ship began its voyage from Nova Scotia, Canada,
was approximately four dozen individuals. Some of the trainees had only
booked for one leg of the voyage while others had signed on for the entire
18 months. Some left early because they fell in love while on board - or
because of personality conflicts, while others decided to stay on board
longer than they'd initially planned. The show follows the interpersonal
relations between many of the individuals on board while also showing a bit
about the various islands the ship visits during the voyage. This is not a
show where people signed up to be on a reality show - it is a television
production which began after those on board had made the decision to join
the ship.

This was the Picton Castle's second sail-training voyage around the World.
The vessel contained a supply of text books in her hold which she
distributed to a number of isolated communities in the South Pacific
including: The Cook Islands, Pitcairn Island, Tonga, French Polynesia,
Samoa, Fiji. The show first aired in Canada and has subsequently been aired
in various European markets.

posted to alt.sailing

On Monday, 28 April 2008 17:59:17 UTC+1, aDog wrote:
"ccnlc1" wrote in message

[...]

Tallship Chronicles - videos

This was a reality t.v. show from Canada about life on board the tallship Picton Castle during an 18 month long round-the-world voyage. It was made in the early 2000s.

Part 2 is about the voyage from Panama to the Galapagos - which I actually sailed a few years' ago on the HM Bark Endeavour!! Life on that was as tough as on the PC.

Someone has found a set of videos of the Tallship Chronicles show - and has given them to me. Unfortunately episodes 9 and 10 were missing.

The show was broadcast by the Canadian BC, and maybe on PBS or Discovery. And I know in Europe and South Africa it has been on the Travel Channel. And so someone in the world-wide tallship fraternity might just have a set.

Please could you ask around for me? Thank you. And if anyone can loan me these 'missing' episodes I would be very, very, grateful please.

Many thanks Chris B.

Tall Ship Courtesy of HF 01 L D'Bonnie Tall Ship Photos 2 April 22nd 08 12:13 AM
not a tall ship.. but does anyone recognise this 1940s ship? (link in message) Boyd Tall Ship Photos 2 April 2nd 07 05:25 PM
Small Tall Ship ~EV~ Tall Ships 3 January 21st 04 07:44 PM
Was this Nonantum a Tall Ship? Paul Rands Tall Ships 0 January 5th 04 09:49 PM