posted to rec.boats.paddle,rec.boats.paddle.touring,rec.boats.paddle.whitewater
pjbphd

Default Truckee River Canoe and Kayak Information

My wife and I will be visiting family at Lake Tahoe in August and I'm
contemplating bringing my Old Towne Appalachian canoe along for the ride.
I'm thinking of paddling portions of the Truckee as a day trip or two but I
can't find much on line in the way of maps etc. So far all I've found are
listing of a couple of commercial guide companies that use rafts.

If anyone knows where to find information, especially a map or river guide,
I'd appreciate it. I'm primarily trying to find the put in and take out
points, what class of rapids, if any etc. I'm pretty very comfortable in
class II rapids and will run class III's if I know they're coming and can
scout them. I've done several extended tours, the San Juan, and Green
(fla****er of the latter) in Utah, and the Rio Yaqui in Mexico. On those
trips we were weighted down with equipment so I assume we'll ride a little
higher on a day trip but I'd still like to know if I'll need float bags.

Another alternative is to take a river kayak class for a couple days in
Reno. If anyone has a recommendation for who to go with for that it will
also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--
Too many spams have forced me to alter my email. If you wish to email me
directly please send messages to pjbphd at cox dot net

posted to rec.boats.paddle,rec.boats.paddle.touring,rec.boats.paddle.whitewater

A map of the truckee including the location and rating of rapids format
can be downloaded from he

http://www.tmh2o.com/water_system/river_recreation_map/

Hope this helps. Happy Trails.

pjbphd wrote:
[...]

We live in Reno and paddle the Truckee regularly. For the most part,
it is a whitewater river with a lot of Class II and ocassional Class
III rapids. By August, the river will be pretty low and a canoe might
be fine in some sections. The only sections that I would take a
canoe on are "Fanny Bridge" (Right below the lake to River Ranch) or
the section below Sparks all the way to Pyramid Lake.

The WW park is awesome but is pretty much clogged with kids on inner
tubes in the Summer. The early mornings or evenings are relatively
uncluttered. It would be a fun place to take a kayak class.

Take a look at:

http://www.cityofreno.com/res/com_se...tewatercam.php

http://www.cityofreno.com/res/com_se...arks/kayak.php

Randy