posted to alt.sailing
jbclem

Default value of old 14' Laser?

I'm looking at an old 14' Laser, from the early 1970's. It has no sail, no trailer,
needs some work on the mast step, needs some missing fittings, and is real dirty. The
center board is cracked in half. It hasn't been in the water for about 15 years, before
that was sailed a little in the Pacific ocean. The hull has a small patch in one place,
probably needs to be redone. The mast (2 pieces) and the boom look ok. It's located in
the Los Angeles area. Can someone tell me what I should pay for this boat and what else
I should be checking.

Thanks, jc

posted to alt.sailing

The short answer...Free.
Sounds like you're hauling away someone's garbage.
I haven't sailed a Laser in quite some time, but my advice would be to
pick up a LayLine catalogue (or similar) and figure out the cost of all
the parts it's going to take to even get the thing sailable. Then
compare to other used Lasers in your area and the cost of a new boat.
I suspect that even if you only paid a few hundred buck for the boat,
you'll be over a grand by the time you get it going, plus all the
manual labor etc and that's for what, a beat-up 35 year old boat that's
probably soft and heavy.

sm

posted to alt.sailing
Scott Sexton

In article .com,
says...
The short answer...Free.
Sounds like you're hauling away someone's garbage.
I haven't sailed a Laser in quite some time, but my advice would be to
pick up a LayLine catalogue (or similar) and figure out the cost of all
the parts it's going to take to even get the thing sailable. Then
compare to other used Lasers in your area and the cost of a new boat.
I suspect that even if you only paid a few hundred buck for the boat,
you'll be over a grand by the time you get it going, plus all the
manual labor etc and that's for what, a beat-up 35 year old boat that's
probably soft and heavy.

sm

Gotta agree here,

Check for soft spots in the fiberglass, those will have to be repaired.
Do you know how to work on fiberglass? ~$100-500 to have a shop do the
work
centerboard needs repair/replacement. ~$75-125 for a replacement
line - Mainsheed and halyard ~$25-30
sail?? ~$200-500?????
misc fittings and hardware ~$25-50

All of these numbers are off the top of my head, but I could see you
spending an easy $300-1000 to get it up and running. I'd expect that
you could find a used one ready to sail WITH A TRAILER for something
like $500 if you kept your eyes peeled.

Good luck and may the wind fill your sails,

Scott

Scott H. Sexton help@
www.sexton.com sexton.com
Eeyore's Birthday Party http://eeyores.sexton.com

Yo yo yo - RCE... RCE General 17 March 13th 06 03:05 PM
Laser [email protected] ASA 10 January 10th 06 02:51 PM
Laser alert device [email protected] General 4 January 4th 06 04:33 AM
FS: Laser in NY Capt. Rob Marketplace 0 January 3rd 06 09:31 PM
Eyewitness: "I Never Heard the Word 'Bomb'" Don White General 205 December 13th 05 05:35 AM