posted to alt.sailing

Default DS 20

On Monday, June 21, 1999 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Albert Covemaeker wrote:
I have recently purchased a "DS 20" sailboat. It was made by DS Yachts ltd.
at ODESSA Ontario Canada. I have been unable to locate the Company on the
phone book, or the last known owner Herman SCHWILL.

If anyone has anyinfo on these boats, please reply. I am particularly
interested in the boom rigging.

Albert Covemaeker

contact this is a group for all Diller Schwill boats built in Odessa ontario

posted to alt.sailing

I am a DS 20 sailboat owner.My hull number is 214, As far as I know this may have been one of the last one,s built.Catchawave is a 1980 MK 2. I am only the second owner. This sailboat was purchased in 06 from the original owner. I have original user manual,and some paperwork with the boat product promotion from The manufacturer,The Diller & Schwill yatch company .This boat is on a factory trailer,and has gone through some renovations over the first year I owned her,and then some every year,I keep improving things as I go,and as find these small and some big improvement ,it add up to better performance,and comfort.This winter I built a new rudder,the original was warped and bent at the time. The new rudder I believe will be a big improvement.. It will provide a slightly larger surface,is lighter,and is fitted stainless steel bushings,as well as much improved foil shape. I look forward to my launch this spring. Aloha.

posted to alt.sailing

I am looking to purchse a DS-20 and would appriciate any information you might be willing to share...first question did the DS-20 not have a swing keel in 1974?

posted to alt.sailing

Evan,I I'm not sure.My search leads me to believe that the swing keep was introduced a bit later in production.The first ones built had fixed keels with ballast built in. My best guess here,production started in about 75 ,and ran till about 82.Sometime in those years ,say 78 or 79,is my guess.A quick look inside the cockpit,you would see a line on a cleat ,center, and just below the compagnion step leading inside the cabin.
posted to alt.sailing

I inspected the cabin and talked to the owner, there is a swing keel on her, a pulley inside the cabin, where you said, under the step in the companionway, and a line leading out to a cleat to tie off the keel, it appears to be a metal cable that's attached to the keel on a spool...
posted to alt.sailing

Evan , this indicate a swing keel..get as much information as you can, ask if this boat has been on the water, recently and ask about the swing keel, this is important that this is operational, they tend to stiffen over time and it may need a push with a long sqaure bar and some tapping with a mallet to give and swing out. You need to push out from to drain opening​ in the cockpit. Cheers.
posted to alt.sailing

Le lundi 3 avril 2017 23:20:46 UTC-4, a Ă©critÂ*:
[...]

I just bought a DS20 Diller Schwill. I do not have the user manual. I am wandering if it is possible for you to send me a copy of it. Do you have it in PDF. I will pay you for this. My name is Jean-Robert Soucy 418 729-3406. We are from Les Méchins, Gaspésia, Quebec
posted to alt.sailing

Sorry it took so long, but I've been busy working on her...
The lowdown is that she came out of the water Dec 2016 for the winter, being mild weather the previous owner sailed her until Nov. The previous owner has had her for approximately 3 years, and the swing keel has worked all that time with only one problem, the cable was frayed a bit, so he replaced it, my inspection shows it in good condition, however I have not dropped the keel since she's been on the trailer all this time. He also suggested that I paint the keel with bottom paint as he hadn't done it this past year 2016...So she's sitting at the marina, a slip is ready, and I'm just waiting for good weather at the appropriate time so I can paint the bottom. I have had the engine serviced for the season and replaced the anodes, and it's awaiting a paint job for the area underwater...I have found the sails are all original, with the number 30 on the mainsail, faded, but readable...at this time a local sailmaker has them and is making new sails for me. As for me I keep getting minor stuff ready for the boat, blocks, cleats, lines, safety gear, etc...right now I'm concerned about the mast and all the hardware on them, the mainsail halyard is green with algea(?), and needs to be replaced, the standing rigging is in good shape, but needs some new zip ties that have broken...my main concern is the water in the storage spaces, where did it come from? I pumped it out with a hand pump, and mopped it up with rags and a mop...after all the rain we had this spring, the storage spaces have remained dry, the bilge not so much, the hatches may have some minor leaks as the amount of water in the bilge this last time was just enough to pump out with the bilge pump in a couple of minutes, rather than the 30+ minutes over two days the first time...
So I am now looking forward to getting out on the water...