Bob La Londe

Default Baker Tunnel Hull - Question

Just picked up a 20' Baker tunnel hull with a 200HP Mariner. It ran great.
I imagine when I get used to setting the jack plate just right and trimming
the engine perfect I'll probably be able to run close to 80 with it. Maybe
a little quicker with a different prop.

Anyway, I noticed something intersiting. Going away from the wind it ran
flat and quick, but running into the wind it tended to porpoise a little. I
had to trim it down a little to prevent that. Now for the question. Do
tunnel hulls trap air and porpoise?

I noticed it didn't seem to do it as much at higher speeds either.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

Woodchuck

Yes they do trap air and run differently going in or out of the wind. If
it's your first tunnel you got a long leaning curve to be safe. It took me
almost all summer before I got the hang of my STV tunnel

Check out www.stvowners.com and www.screamandfly.com

Hull Waxing Question JG Wall General 6 June 29th 04 05:05 AM
Thru Hull Question Marc Boat Building 1 February 27th 04 06:47 PM
Narrow hull speed question Robert Haston Boat Building 5 September 15th 03 07:45 PM
car top hull issues zak Touring 4 August 8th 03 12:09 AM
Hull speed theory? Sakari Aaltonen Boat Building 28 July 22nd 03 09:30 PM