Scott Broam

Default Walden Kayak Outrigger Canoe?

Is anybody familiar with the Walden Kayak outrigger canoe, the "Nalu"?
I saw one in a shop and was intrigued, but also frustrated - they
would not rent it or allow a demo. I'm interested because I'm
thinking it might be an open water touring option for a canoeist who
feels awkward in a sea kayak, but is interested in going all the
places a sea kayak goes... They want $800 for it, is that a good
price? What does a composite run? These are not a common boat in the
SE US, so I've not had a chance to paddle one and have only ever seen
two and one was hanging 10' up in the rafters of a shop...

Thanks -

Scott
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Broam
Is anybody familiar with the Walden Kayak outrigger canoe, the "Nalu"?
I saw one in a shop and was intrigued, but also frustrated - they
would not rent it or allow a demo. I'm interested because I'm
thinking it might be an open water touring option for a canoeist who
feels awkward in a sea kayak, but is interested in going all the
places a sea kayak goes... They want $800 for it, is that a good
price? What does a composite run? These are not a common boat in the
SE US, so I've not had a chance to paddle one and have only ever seen
two and one was hanging 10' up in the rafters of a shop...

Thanks -

Scott

Hello: I own one (A Walden Nalu), and I use it all of the time, maybe twice a week; its a very useful a fun boat to own; I voyage with it, use it for camping, fishing, etc., many other activities. It has some limitations, it's slow as compared to a racing outrigger canoe, and it isn't as comfortable as a kayak. Its also not great when you're padding into the wind, in rough water (under those conditions, it can be nearly unmanageable), but overall I really like it. What else do you want to know?
I've also modified mine to include an aluminum rudder, and a seat. - Bill Freed