posted to alt.sailing.tall-ships

Default Semi OT...marlin spike knife...

Do any of you who lurk around this Newsgroup carry a "Rigger's Knife" or
as it also might be called, a folding knife with a marlin spike included?

For almost 30 years I've used Camillus knives that were made up of one
heavy drop point knife blade on one side of the folding body, and a
marlin spike on the other side. The original Camillus version had black
plastic handles with heavy rivets holding the whole thing together.

I lost my first one and one of my daughters bought me a beautiful
replacement from Camillus that had a short section of serrations on the
blade, near the hinge point.

That one got used up from work and I replaced it with another Camillus,
but the serrations weren't an option at that time.

That third knife was lost and I've just replaced it with a fatter,
stubbier version from Sheffield, England. This one's blade is almost
half the thickness of the Camillus blades and the spike is shorter and
far more curved than the Camillus versions. But, I've found it to be a
rugged and serviceable knife. It has a third 'blade' which doubles as a
can opener and bottle opener. Nice on a Friday night.

The reason I call them "Rigger's" knives is because I'm one of them
wanna be sailors who love to learn about ships and the sea, but I've
never been out there. I was however, a rigger for many years -
dismantling, moving and reassembling heavy equipment of all kinds - and
these old knives have come in handy in throwing a quick splice to a
piece of rope, untangling things and so on...

Anyway, just thought I'd ask if any of you knew what the heck I was
talking about.

Best regards to all,
Bert
--
To those who have served or are serving the cause of freedom, whether in
peace or in war, at home or abroad, thank you. Si vis pacem, para

"Bert Olton" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, I use a Captain Currey's knife, the captain lockspike version.
http://www.captain-currey.co.uk/category.aspx?id=11 .
However, I rarely use the marlin spike as correctly tied knots are easy to
undo by hand. It is useful for the odd knot tied by others which have become
impossible to get open by hand. Being made in stainless it doesn't rust
either. No bottle opener but I have plenty of those on the boat and on my
usual pocket knife which has a few other handy little tools as well.

TonyB

On 01/15/2012 11:27 AM, TonyB wrote:

Yes, I use a Captain Currey's knife, the captain lockspike version.
http://www.captain-currey.co.uk/category.aspx?id=11 .
However, I rarely use the marlin spike as correctly tied knots are easy
to undo by hand. It is useful for the odd knot tied by others which have
become impossible to get open by hand. Being made in stainless it
doesn't rust either. No bottle opener but I have plenty of those on the
boat and on my usual pocket knife which has a few other handy little
tools as well.

Hello TonyB,

That looks like an eminently practical knife - thanks for the link. The
place from which I purchased my last two knives is:

http://www.worldknives.com/index.php

They make available a complete line of all sorts of knives, from
absolute garbage to some very, very fine items. The main clue to
quality is of course price, but they are terrific about answering phone
calls and emails in responding to questions and even giving recommendations.

The Sheffield version I bought is an excellent tool and will no doubt
out last any of the Camillus knives I've had, but it's bulkier than I
would have liked. Not a knife to carry handily in a pocket.

Bert
--
To those who have served or are serving the cause of freedom, whether in
peace or in war, at home or abroad, thank you. Si vis pacem, para
bellum. "Let's roll!", Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93,
September 11, 2001. http://www.canaltownanvil.org

SURGE/SPIKE PROTECTION IN ELECTRIC CCTS Rob Electronics 3 July 11th 04 11:47 AM
LAWSUIT FILED TO PROTECT ATLANTIC WHITE MARLIN Capt. Dave General 0 January 23rd 04 02:38 AM
Marlin Spike Tom General 0 July 29th 03 01:58 AM
Marlin Spike Tom ASA 0 July 27th 03 02:41 PM