posted to alt.binaries.pictures.scenic,alt.binaries.pictures.tall-ships

Default 1978 - More memories of working in a shipyard #4 - scan-1978-Sunship_booklet-04-Edit.jpg [1/1]

Here are scanned pages from a pamphlet that was originally published as a magazine article about
the Sun Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company.

I was working at the shipyard at this time, in the Mechanical Maintenance (84) department. I've
worked the linear launches as part of the hydraulic team (which literally pushed the ship on
rollers onto the floating dry dock), and also worked on the dry dock pretty much full time at this
point, and on the cranes.

--
Al McCann
albert(dot)mccann(at)outlook(dot)com
posted to alt.binaries.pictures.scenic,alt.binaries.pictures.tall-ships

Kilgore Trout wrote in
:

Here are scanned pages from a pamphlet that was originally published
as a magazine article about the Sun Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company.

I was working at the shipyard at this time, in the Mechanical
Maintenance (84) department. I've worked the linear launches as part
of the hydraulic team (which literally pushed the ship on rollers onto
the floating dry dock), and also worked on the dry dock pretty much
full time at this point, and on the cranes.

Good stuff. I enjoy hearing about other
people's work experiences.

posted to alt.binaries.pictures.scenic,alt.binaries.pictures.tall-ships

In article , says...

Kilgore Trout wrote in
:

Here are scanned pages from a pamphlet that was originally published
as a magazine article about the Sun Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company.

I was working at the shipyard at this time, in the Mechanical
Maintenance (84) department. I've worked the linear launches as part
of the hydraulic team (which literally pushed the ship on rollers onto
the floating dry dock), and also worked on the dry dock pretty much
full time at this point, and on the cranes.

Good stuff. I enjoy hearing about other
people's work experiences.

Working in that place was so dangerous, that taking a sick day decreased one's chances of dying on
the job. On June 9, 1981, six people were killed in the engine room of the SSL Lash Atlantico on
the dry dock, when someone dumped the CO2 system (I belive as a joke). I'll never forget my
coworker Burt hauling dead bodies up with a rope through an access hatch. The CO2 system was
improperly left live, and not locked out, which allowed it to be activated.

I had spoken with three of those people just before lunch. :-(

This PDF has this accident listed in it:

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...2appendixa.pdf

I recall around a dozen people killed there, that I personally knew. My dad told me to never reveal
to my mother what went on there.