Tunnel Hull Question

Old December 14th 08, 10:48 PM
William Johnston William Johnston is offline
Junior Member

Question Tunnel Hull Question

I have just completed a Clark Craft TU 14. This is an all wood 14 ft. tunnel hull boat. I installed a 50 H.P. Johnson outboard with electric trim. My problem is at medium throttle I have water coming over the transom. It seems that the water coming thru the tunnel at low speeds hits the motor shaft housing and shoots straight up, hitting the motor mount and gushing over the transom. Is this common with tunnel hulls and what is the cure ?
Old December 15th 08, 02:50 AM posted to rec.boats.building
Brian Whatcott

Default Tunnel Hull Question

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 22:48:55 +0000, William Johnston
wrote:

I have just completed a Clark Craft TU 14. This is an all wood 14 ft.
tunnel hull boat. I installed a 50 H.P. Johnson outboard with electric
trim. My problem is at medium throttle I have water coming over the
transom. It seems that the water coming thru the tunnel at low speeds
hits the motor shaft housing and shoots straight up, hitting the motor
mount and gushing over the transom. Is this common with tunnel hulls
and what is the cure ?

Try adjusting the outboard's height. It has a spray plane above the
prop which might cut the splash down.

Brian W
Old September 2nd 12, 11:55 AM
LSaupe LSaupe is offline
Junior Member

Greetings:

I know this is an old post but wanted to touch base. Have you solve this issue?

One item would be where your prop shaft is relative to the sponson bottom surfaces. My guess is that this shoud be about even (using a prop capable of surfacing).

Setback might be an option as well.

I just purchased my own set of plans for this boat. Have you been happy with it so far?

Thanks and Regards,

Larry S.
Galway, NY

Old November 10th 16, 08:38 PM posted to rec.boats.building

--
William Johnston

Hi William, I am curious about your experiences with the Clark Craft TU 14. Would you be kind enough to e-mail me at . I have a Glen-l "Flying Saucer" and am considering the TU14. Thanks, Joe

Value of 2 Bobcat Tunnel hull racers astrolounger Power Boat Racing 1 November 24th 05 02:27 PM
Small tunnel hull Ilkka Loponen Boat Building 3 September 9th 04 02:24 AM
Thru Hull Question Marc Boat Building 1 February 27th 04 05:47 PM
Through-hull question Trent D. Sanders Cruising 44 December 27th 03 06:18 AM
Baker Tunnel Hull - Question Bob La Londe Power Boat Racing 1 August 9th 03 07:37 PM