posted to alt.sailing

Default Sidney LOA 17

I was searching for info about my boat recently and came across this post. I've owned a Sidney LOA-17 for about 6 years now and love it. I believe mine is a 69, and has the original sails with the LOA sailor insignia. The fiberglass hull is extremely robust, but the craftsmanship with the taping in of bulkheads, centerboard trunk, and flotation chambers leaves much to be desired. I've done a few structural modifications to mine to make it a bit more seaworthy, and I've rebuilt the rig when I snagged a tree in my early years with the boat.

I sail it primarily in Tomales Bay, just north of San Franisco. It's pretty darn fast, points well, likes to carry a load, and can sleep two adults in the cabin. The boat gets overpowered pretty easily, but still somewhat manageable under reefed main alone in 20+ knots...although the hard chine will deliver you a beating while trying going to weather against an ebb tide.

I hope you bought the boat and already know what I'm talking about!

On Tuesday, July 4, 2000 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Jay S. Farnham wrote:
I just purchased a 1970 Sidney LOA 17 sailboat and am looking for any
information I can find about it.

I live in Michigan just south of Detroit and plan to use it in the
Detroit River and Lake Eire.

I've found two Sidney LOA 17 sites, Was Boyd's "Number One Sidney
Page" and Branden Culp's "Sidney LOA 17" page, and have created my own
at;
http://ww4.webbernet.net/~frodo/sidney17.htm.

I bought Wes Boyd's Sidney LOA 17 and Branden Culp is selling his.

I'd like to hear from anyone with any knowledge or experience with
this boat.

Remove NoSpam from from e-mail address.

Jay Farnham )

posted to alt.sailing

I know this is an ancient posting, but I had an almost identical experience with my 1969 Sdney...almost always sailed Tomales, lost my rig to a tree at the Miller launch, fixed the bulkheads and tabbing in the cabin, got beat on while sailing 5 miles upwind in 20-25 knot winds under reefed main alone. Just thought that was quite coincidental...surprised I didn't see you out there!
posted to alt.sailing

Am 25.03.2013 um 04:58 schrieb :
[...]

its only a test for poosting thanks