Mike & Tricia Kennedy

Default Odd Jobs while Cruising to bring in some cash

What are some of the jobs, you as cruisers, have done to bring in cash
while cruising?

Mike Kennedy
Gordon

Drugs!

"Mike & Tricia Kennedy" wrote in message
om...
What are some of the jobs, you as cruisers, have done to bring in cash
while cruising?

Mike Kennedy

Evan Gatehouse

"Mike & Tricia Kennedy" wrote in message
om...
What are some of the jobs, you as cruisers, have done to bring in cash
while cruising?

Mike Kennedy

Me: writing, designing a nesting dinghy, going back to my old job for 4
months as a contract employee, having my grandmother die (o.k. not really a
job but it's all money and she would have been happy to know she financed
part of our cruising).

My wife: varnishing, writing

The most successful folks I knew were in decreasing order of income/ease of
finding work we

- diesel mechanic *always in demand*
- refrigeration mechanic
- vet (no kidding - people will pay anything to keep old Fluffy alive)
- sailmaker with good sewing machine, lots of sail repair and related
material
- writer (too much competition generally)

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)

Robert Larder

Have done-
Capetown- partially rewired a 45ft yacht, did 2 trips as mate/engineer
(combined) on a tuna boat.
St Helena- running repairs to the above 45 footer, skipper was on a
delivery, was NOT mechanically minded and, as we were going the same way, I
had a sorta maintenance contract with him ;-).
Brasil- `bout 3 months helping finish building a 40ft Wharram, mostly
glassfibre work, rigging etc.
Carribean- Construction, mostly woodwork, docks etc.. Marina (small) manager
and general factotum, electrician etc. Bit of work for a charter co. mostly
on the boats, but did a little skippering (hated it!).
As you can see, you take what you can get, say no to nothing, learn as you
go along. It helps to be gregarious, most contacts seem to be made in the
bar!
There`s always boats with mechanical problems, (fridges are a favorite) and
the majority of owners seem to know frighteningly little about their boats.
Met a guy on St Helena, he had come in 10 years before with a big sailboat,
settled there, and did trips over to the African coast bringing in supplies
to the island, don`t think he earned a lot, but he lived cheap!!
Another guy had his boat set up as a fridge workshop, other friends worked
on the day charter boats, couples as skipper/ hostess can be good.
No-one I knew bothered with work permits, I got caught once in St Maarten,
but no big deal.
Something always turns up when you need it- that`s what I was told by other
cruisers before I left, and it`s true!
HTH
Bob