Steve

Default Spectra, for luff pennants??

For many years I have used wire to make pennants to adjust the hoist on my
head sails. To raise the tack/foot off the deck or clear the lifelines. Or
on the head to raise the halyard swivel enough to prevent a "halyard wrap"
on the roller furling...

I recently installed Spectra for all of my lifelines and observed how easy
it is to do a splice, the ultra high strength and UV resistance.

I'm seriously considering making up Spectra pennants for all of my head
sails. Sure would be easier on the sail and sail bags when they are stowed,
not to mention weight and windage aloft. The working strength exceeds that
of my halyards.

I'm still wondering about some method to seize or hand stitch these sleeve
type eye splices. No mention of this as a problem in the single braid line.
I have not noticed any slippage in my lifelines (although there is some
noted shrinkage in length on hot days (only slight)).

I would be interested in opinions??

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

renewontime dot com

I'm still wondering about some method to seize or hand stitch these sleeve
type eye splices. No mention of this as a problem in the single braid
line. I have not noticed any slippage in my lifelines (although there is
some noted shrinkage in length on hot days (only slight)).

I'm not sure I understand your question entirely. Spectra is an ideal
replacement for wire rope for head sail pennants, although spectra is no
where's near as U/V or abrasion resistant as wire, it is much lighter and,
as you said, much easier to work with.

If you are eye splicing single braid Spectra by just tucking one core into
itself (Chinese finger trap style), then you are not splicing it properly
and your splices are at risk of failure. You -must- first do a "brummel"
splice, where the line entraps itself, then tuck the core. There are
instructions on how to do this on the New England Ropes website (and
probably other sites as well).

Once you've spliced in this manner, sure you can sew the splice, or as I've
done, use a "sailmakers whip". As you sew, be careful not to damage the
threads, sometimes a "dulled" needle works better for this.

Keep in mind, that when switching from wire to Spectra, you need to be very
careful to protect the pennant from chafe. Using a stainless steel thimble
(use a sailmakers thimble, -not- a wire thimble, no sharp edges) and perhaps
covering the thimble with leather will help.

Hope this helps,

--
Paul

=-----------------------------------=
renewontime dot com
FREE email reminder service for licensed mariners
http://www.renewontime.com
=-----------------------------------=

Steve

Thanks for the "Heads-Up" on the splice. What you have pointed out, i.e.
"Brummel splice" instead of the "Chinese finger trap" is news to me. The
main reason I have concern since the finger trap method is what was
recommended by the salesperson that sold me the line.

I will try to find the referenced web site for details on the Brummel
splice method. Once I fully understand this method, I will redo my lifeline
eyesplices.

Chafe on the roller furled pennant should be a problem, but the hanked on
staysail maybe due to frequent ondeck handling.

Thanks for the comments.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

"renewontime dot com" wrote in message
[...]

renewontime dot com

Here's the link:

http://www.neropes.com/splice/

--
Paul

=-----------------------------------=
renewontime dot com
FREE email reminder service for licensed mariners
http://www.renewontime.com
=-----------------------------------=

Brian Whatcott

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 10:10:20 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

Thanks for the "Heads-Up" on the splice. What you have pointed out, i.e.
"Brummel splice" instead of the "Chinese finger trap" is news to me.

///
Steve
s/v Good Intentions

"renewontime dot com" wrote in message

///
You -must- first do a "brummel"
splice, where the line entraps itself, then tuck the core. There are
instructions on how to do this on the New England Ropes website

///
--
Paul

I looked and looked on neropes but I couldn't find squat on brummel.
Where did I go wrong?

Brian W

Steve

I found the New England instruction but was left a bit confused until I
printed it out. Seems their direction doesn't display correctly in my
browser.

The printed instruction will be added to my onboard splice file.

Thanks.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Steve

One thing that I noticed in my limited experience with Spectra, was that I
have difficulty cutting it with a Hot Knife and it is near impossible to
weld or seal the ends. Even a small piece of masking tape doesn't work very
well. Kinda like putting tape on teflon.

I'm wondering if the end sealing of the rope yarns shouldn't be done with
some glue, etc.

Any comments.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Garland Gray II

Paul
Now you have given me something to think about. I have made a few eyesplices
in core dependent double braid following Samson's instructions. This relies
on the Chinese finger trap, although the instructions call for sewing a
lockstitch through the splice .
Whenever I get around to replacing the lifelines w/ Amsteel, I had planned
on using the "finger trap" (with the lockstitch), but now I'll give it a
second thought. And I do wonder if the brummel doesn't put a less even

[...]

renewontime dot com

Hi,

What you're talking about is what riggers refer to as a "core to core"
splice. With high tech lines (cores made of high tensile spectra, technora,
kevlar or similar and a dacron cover) the core is many times stronger than
the cover. With a "normal" double braid eye splice, the cover takes about
50% of the load. With a "core to core" splice, the core takes almost 100%
of the load. Alot of yachts "taper" the line, removing the cover except
where it will go through turning blocks and winches. On a cruising yacht,
this is not usually necessary or desired.

These splices aren't easy to do, but with some practice, a little bit of
practice and alot of patience, anyone can do it.

--
Paul