posted to rec.boats.building

Default Why no small aluminum sailboats?

On Saturday, September 15, 2001 at 1:10:50 AM UTC-3, chili li wrote:
Why are there no small aluminum sailboats around? I've seen plenty of
aluminum canoes, row boats, motor boats, etc but no small sailboats. I'm
toying with the idea of taking a stitch and glue plan and using it as the
basis for an aluminum boat. A few rough calculations show that the weight
and price aren't that far out of line with glassed over plywood. Is there
some hidden downside to aluminum that will turn this project into a
disaster?

i designed and built a 20ft aluminum sailboat, it exceeded all my expectations. i was motivated by weight and maintenance. since then ive learned 1/2" cedar strips with a layer of glass is the same in weight and has a fair life expectancy, the advantage is a much more beautiful shape can be achieved in cedar strips. i fabricate and weld aluminum for a living, i used 14 ga. aluminum. cost is a little less for the strip boat, labour about the same.
posted to rec.boats.building

On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 14:37:33 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

[...]

There have been and likely still are many aluminum boats being built,
both sailing and motor. But the process requires a certain amount of
specialized equipment and knowledge so perhaps the "average bloke"
sees plywood as a "easy" project material while aluminum is somewhat
of a mystery.
--
Cheers,

Bruce

wrote:

[...]

I bought a decent MIG welder specifically to build aluminum boats. I have
learned quite a lot about welding aluminum over the last few years. I have
even made some aluminum boat repairs, but I have yet to actually build a
boat. Welding thin aluminum is a little daunting unless you know how to do
it, and have a lot of experience with it. I kinda know how to do it and
have a little experience. LOL.