posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

Default Rod Rigging - Hype?

http://www.sailnet.com/collections/a...eid=matthe0945

Rod rigging is more often used aboard racing boats than on cruising boats.
While an argument can be made for rod rigging lasting longer than wire
rigging, it won't take any kinks the way wire rigging will, which means one
ill-placed docking can mean the end of a shroud. And, there is no way to
inspect rod rigging short of x-ray, which presents the possibility of
surprise catastrophic failures. While rod rigging may last longer than wire,
it's somewhat of a moot point since the terminal ends will wear out before
the other components do.

Oh boy!

Amen!

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Rod rigging is more often used aboard racing boats than on cruising
boats.
While an argument can be made for rod rigging lasting longer than wire
rigging

In my research for my book I interviewed 5 surveyors in NY, PA and FL
who specialized in sailboats. ALL prefered rod rigging over traditional
wire. ALL felt that it's virtually impervious to failure, so long as
the fittings were updated and NONE had seen a failure and only two had
even heard of rod rigging rigs failing and in both cases it was
actually the chainplate that had failed! ALL had inspected rod rigged
boats from the early 80's that were found to be in excellent condition.
Of course my boat is not very old and her rigging is like new with
terminals updated in 2004.
Bob, it's best to actually do some real research instead of posting
superficial info from Sailnet that you coppied and pasted.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
NotPony

Wouldn't it make sense to talk to a rigger about
rigging?
S.

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
:
:
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

Only 5?

How many were licensed, professional engineers in the area of structures?

hmmm?

The only place rod rigging is used in structures is where the end could be
threaded, or bent and set in concrete. If it's swaged it's wire rope.

Yes, your guys saw failures - exactly the type of failures from using rod
rigging in that fashion.

Still don't get it, do you?

Think a bit...

Amen!

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I have a hard time believing that rod rigging fails less than wire.
Consider, if a crack in a wire happens, it affects only that wire and
nothing comes down. ANY crack in rod rigging will quickly propogate
through the entire rod. Considering this, something is wrong with the
comparison.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Gary

Bob Crantz wrote:
http://www.sailnet.com/collections/a...eid=matthe0945

Rod rigging is more often used aboard racing boats than on cruising boats.
While an argument can be made for rod rigging lasting longer than wire
rigging, it won't take any kinks the way wire rigging will, which means one
ill-placed docking can mean the end of a shroud. And, there is no way to
inspect rod rigging short of x-ray, which presents the possibility of
surprise catastrophic failures. While rod rigging may last longer than wire,
it's somewhat of a moot point since the terminal ends will wear out before
the other components do.

Oh boy!

Amen!

Rod rigging is also very difficult to store compared to a coil of wire rope.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

The cracks shown in that link are exactly like the ones I found in my
20 yr old rigging. The cracks in mine were very difficult to find
until I used fine sandpaper. They were all on the lower swaged end.
Most of the cracks were under small brown stains that were the result
of the stainless in the crack becoming non-stainless and rusting. They
required a 10X magnifier to find. At work, I ground the fittings away
to see how deep they went and they went through the entire fitting. I
even used dye penetrant with no luck. I replaced all the rigging and
lifelines last year.
NOW, although thefittings and wire and rod are stainless, stainless can
be slightly ferromagnetic and can be tested via flux leakage methods (I
used to do magnetic NDT research). Furthermore, the area around a
fatigue crack is less stainless and more ferromagnetic than the bulk
material. This may allow testing via mag particle inspection
(so-called magnafluxing). It is entirely that nobody has done this
because they simply assumed that teh stainless material wouldnt allow
this to work. Unfortunately, I threw the old rigging away so I cannot
try this.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message In my research for my book
I interviewed 5 surveyors in NY, PA and FL
who specialized in sailboats. ALL prefered rod rigging over traditional
wire.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaa!!!!!

Give it up Bob!

You own a Mac26X upgrade!

CM

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron

It fails immediately ...without warning ...and usually with catastrophic
results

CM.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a hard time believing that rod rigging fails less than wire.
Consider, if a crack in a wire happens, it affects only that wire and
nothing comes down. ANY crack in rod rigging will quickly propogate
through the entire rod. Considering this, something is wrong with the
comparison.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Gary

Capt. Rob wrote:
[...]

In fact, regardless of whether you have rod or wire rope, there will be
failures but failures of either are rare. It is most often the rest of
the stuff that breaks. Inspections of rod rigging, by even the most
reputable of surveyors, is suspect because of the difficulty of finding
evidence of impending failure, unlike wire rope. While rod is stronger,
nicer looking and lighter, it is also more expensive, less user friendly
and spares are not normally kept onboard. It is therefore less
appealing to anyone but racers in pursuit of lighter faster boats and
prepared to accept the added cost, inconvenience and risk.

Gaz

standing rigging prodigal1 Cruising 33 January 5th 06 11:10 PM
How not to hype the news... PocoLoco General 0 October 15th 05 12:33 AM