David Tuff

Default 12volt PC Power Supply

Hi all,

I am looking for a 12voltDC input power supply for a PC (ATX). Any ideas? I
am in Melbourne Australia, but, any ideas of suppliers would be appreciated.

Regards,

David.

HTTP://users.bigpond.com/tuff1

Glendon

"David Tuff" wrote in message
Hi all,

I am looking for a 12voltDC input power supply for a PC (ATX). Any ideas?

am in Melbourne Australia, but, any ideas of suppliers would be

appreciated.

Regards,

David.

HTTP://users.bigpond.com/tuff1

One that I know of is at http://www.big008.com/catPage.asp?catid=CI01250000
.. However it is only 55watt, designed for the low power end of the mini-ATX
form factor. If you find one suitable for ATX, let us know!

Conor Crowley

So by the looks of the mini-ITX systems on this site, I should be able
to build something that looks good, and runs directly off of 12v using
the "Cubid silent 12V DC-DC Converter Kit " (
http://www.big008.com/ProPage.asp?ProID=PI160300 ) - correct?

One that I know of is at http://www.big008.com/catPage.asp?catid=CI01250000
. However it is only 55watt, designed for the low power end of the mini-ATX
form factor. If you find one suitable for ATX, let us know!

hanz

most dc-dc converter run at 12v+- 5%. 5% is the the most important
since boat battery run anywhere from 9v to 14.3 volts (5% of 12 is 11.4
to 12.6.. check it out

hanz

Conor Crowley wrote:
So by the looks of the mini-ITX systems on this site, I should be able
to build something that looks good, and runs directly off of 12v using
the "Cubid silent 12V DC-DC Converter Kit " (
http://www.big008.com/ProPage.asp?ProID=PI160300 ) - correct?

One that I know of is at http://www.big008.com/catPage.asp?catid=CI01250000
. However it is only 55watt, designed for the low power end of the mini-ATX
form factor. If you find one suitable for ATX, let us know!

Glenn Ashmore

These little DC-DC powersupplies are used pretty regularly in automotive
and truck installations so they must be aboe to survive 13V + a little
but I doubt they would handle a bulk charging high amp marine alternator
at 14V. They might make it OK with a high end regulator with a halogen
light limiter but that will increase charging time.

THere are some DC-DC converters that tollerate 10 to 15V but the stock
ones are intended to outpur a stable 13.8 to 22V. I have not found any
designed to output in the range for these ITX power supplies.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

johnh

There are several available that will output a true 12v.

I don't have my list right now, but one of the itx powersupply companies has
a cigarette lighter one that outputs about 50w for about $50. Radioshack
has one for about $80 that outputs a selectable voltage range that goes to
12 v. I have used this one with an itx board and powersupply.

There are also several industrial strength ones in the $250 to $500 range.

Let me know if you can't find them and I'll dig out a list.

John

Conor Crowley wrote:

So by the looks of the mini-ITX systems on this site, I should be able
to build something that looks good, and runs directly off of 12v using
the "Cubid silent 12V DC-DC Converter Kit " (
http://www.big008.com/ProPage.asp?ProID=PI160300 ) - correct?

One that I know of is at
http://www.big008.com/catPage.asp?catid=CI01250000
. However it is only 55watt, designed for the low power end of the
mini-ATX
form factor. If you find one suitable for ATX, let us know!

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Aniculapeter

Here is a link to a DC to DC converter for computers
.. Input range 10-19V DC
.. Output Voltage 12V DC
.. Output power 72 Watts max
99 £

go to the bottom of the page.

http://mini-itx.com/store/?c=19#psu

If you know any others (cheaper), please let me know.

Conor Crowley wrote:

So by the looks of the mini-ITX systems on this site, I should be

able
to build something that looks good, and runs directly off of 12v

using
the "Cubid silent 12V DC-DC Converter Kit " (
http://www.big008.com/ProPage.asp?ProID=PI160300 ) - correct?

One that I know of is at
http://www.big008.com/catPage.asp?catid=CI01250000
. However it is only 55watt, designed for the low power end of the
mini-ATX
form factor. If you find one suitable for ATX, let us know!

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Glendon

"Aniculapeter" wrote in message
k...
Here is a link to a DC to DC converter for computers
. Input range 10-19V DC
. Output Voltage 12V DC
. Output power 72 Watts max
99 £

go to the bottom of the page.

http://mini-itx.com/store/?c=19#psu

If you know any others (cheaper), please let me know.

This thread has sparked me into doing a bit more research on 12V power for
computers and a few thoughts and sources are listed below. I have also
crossposted this to rec.boats.electronics, where this thread might be more
appropriate.

The carputer/MP3 group have done a fair bit of work in this area, and appear
to face a similar problem to powering computers in boats......powering
solutions which involve AC inverters often create undesirable "noise". For
many, a DC-DC solution is the preferred way to go.

http://www.thisstrife.com/carproject..._chapter_4.asp has a forum where
power issues are discussed, also checkout the downloads and resources (one
of the .pdf downloads has a list of sources for DC-Dc converters)

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=11 is another forum

http://www.sproggy.freeserve.co.uk/ offers a design for a DIY person to
build a 12V input(8-17V) and ATX power output converter Anyone have any
experience with this? Looks too advanced for my electronics skills.

A commercial solution is at http://www.opussolutions.com/150watt.html 12V
unregulated auto/boat input , 150 watt ATX power output, with all sorts of
sensing, shutdown and protection features. Cost about $200US They also have
a 90 watt version for ITX. Anyone have any experience with this in terms of
RFI?

This last one seems to answer the original poster's question.

Power danny Boat Building 4 May 29th 04 05:17 AM
A great summer of crusing or Let's Ban Power Boats! jchaplain General 33 November 12th 03 01:07 AM
help....power loss problems? Russell Hermansen General 3 September 24th 03 10:36 PM
*STILL* no power after Hurricane Isabel Butch Ammon General 2 September 23rd 03 08:35 AM