BCC

Default Keeping opened 5200 usable?

I need to open a big tube of 5200 for a small job because I need
mahogany color - and won't use it again for a while - how can I extend
the life - maybe put in the freezer?

Steve

"BCC" wrote in message
I need to open a big tube of 5200 for a small job because I need
mahogany color - and won't use it again for a while - how can I extend
the life - maybe put in the freezer?

Same situation here. I have been purchasing the large tubes for year, mostly
for the cost savings.

However, I manage to keep a tube of white and a tube of mahogany open and
useable for months.. Once I punch the seal I reseal it with a spare, uncut
nozzle, wrap it in a plastic bag to keep air/moisture out to the plunger
area and put it in the frig..

Sometime the 5200 will set up, even on unopened tube, in the plunger area.
If that happens, I will soak the alum tube in a pot of boiling hot water..
It the contents aren't totally hard, this will soften allow the plunger to
release and you can salvage the remainder..

I've even cut open the tube it I want to salvage some soft 5200 and the tip
area is cured hard.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Gould 0738

I've even cut open the tube it I want to salvage some soft 5200 and the tip
area is cured hard.

Ya know, there's any number of guys who would figure they had been cured if
they found a good hard tip on their tube.

Don White

BCC wrote in message
I need to open a big tube of 5200 for a small job because I need
mahogany color - and won't use it again for a while - how can I extend
the life - maybe put in the freezer?

I wonder if this would be a good use of the wife's 'Foodsaver' kitchen
vacuum device?

Steve

It really doesn't take anything other than a common plastic shopping bag.
Just enough to keep any moisture laden air away from the plunger..

BTW, I just looked and I have a couple open (but resealed) tube in my
kitchen frig that must have been there for a year.. I can squeeze the side
of the tub and it is still soft.. I may have to dig a cured plug of 5200 out
of the tip of the tube when I want to use them..

This question came up about a year ago and someone suggested putting them in
the freezer.. I can testify that it isn't necassary and the stuff is ready
to use when you take it out of the frig. but might require some thawing time
if frozen.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Brian D

If you're in a Community Property state, then YES! Otherwise ...do it at
night when she's sleeping ;-)

Brian D

--
http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass -- My boat project