Capt. Frank Hopkins

Default St. Johns River Becoming 1 Large Manatee Zone

Doug,

Its obvious from your defensive and soulful rant that you have never
been on or even near the St. Johns River, where the new zones went into
place. Pick out a stretch of water 4 miles wide and 300 miles long. Now
take away all the water is OVER 8 feet deep and that is what the sea cow
DOES NOT USE. Yet it is all a CowZone.

24 mph in the channal is ridiculous. The cow doesn't go there. 3000 foot
buffer zones are ridiculous. The cow doesn't go past 800! Why? there is
no food, and they like to laze on the bottom and come up with a light
burp to get air.

Please get your facts straight.

Capt. Frank, Who has Manatees all around his dock.

By the way, have you ever heard a Manatee fart?

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Gfretwell" wrote in message

Tell ya what: I'd agree with eliminating "Manatee zones", as long as we

also

eliminate all boating regulations in any area where your children swim.
How's that?

You don't have a clue what we are talking about do you? Folks in Nebraska

think

a "manatee zone" is some small little cove somewhere, off the beaten path.

In

some places like SW Fla it is virtually everywhere that isn't "offshore".

I have plenty of clues. I'm reacting to your attitude. Earlier in this
thread, someone explained what may well be the real reason the manatees are
where they are in such high numbers: Warm water from electric plants. This
is an example of an animal adjusting to an artificial situation WE created,
same as lake trout congregate around warm water plumes here in Lake Ontario.
If you don't like the situation, stop using electricity or move to another
planet. There's no free lunch.

noah

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 02:27:08 GMT, "Don White"
wrote:

What are you complaining about?
The US and Canada were founded by, and prospered with, immigrants.
What makes the Manatee so different?

Capt. Frank Hopkins wrote in message
snip...
The Sea Cow is not even a native, but comes from the east indies. Why we
lettin some forign critter take over?

C.F.

It's hard to tell, since Capt. Frank is responding to posts from back
in May of this year. My news provider doesn't have that kind of
retention, thankfully.

noah
thunder

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 01:51:29 +0000, Capt. Frank Hopkins wrote:

The Sea Cow is not even a native, but comes from the east indies.
Why we lettin some forign critter take over?

The manatee regulations may be to stringent, but the above is pure
BS. The manatee has been indigenous to Florida for over 45 million
years. Florida even has it's own subspecies, Trichechus manatus
latirostris.
Rural Knight

"Capt. Frank Hopkins" wrote in message
hlink.net...

By the way, have you ever heard a Manatee fart?

Isn't that technically a blart?

Steven Shelikoff

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 23:52:44 -0400, "thunder" wrote:

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 01:51:29 +0000, Capt. Frank Hopkins wrote:

The Sea Cow is not even a native, but comes from the east indies.
Why we lettin some forign critter take over?

The manatee regulations may be to stringent, but the above is pure
BS. The manatee has been indigenous to Florida for over 45 million
years. Florida even has it's own subspecies, Trichechus manatus
latirostris.

Yeah, but 45 million years ago it must have come from somewhere.

Steve

-v-

"Gfretwell" wrote in message
The Sea Cow is not even a native, but comes from the east indies.
Why we lettin some forign critter take over?

The manatee regulations may be to stringent, but the above is pure
BS. The manatee has been indigenous to Florida for over 45 million
years. Florida even has it's own subspecies, Trichechus manatus
latirostris.

Yeah, but 45 million years ago it must have come from somewhere.

The fact still remains that without the thermal pollution of man these

things
would swim away and most would not come back. I say, let EPA do it's job

and
eliminate the pollution from power plants. Sequester that water in

retention
ponds until it cools.
We have a power plant that heats water in the only cross penninsular water

way
in Florida and wonder why so many of these cows get hit. It is like

putting a
salt lick in the median of I-4 and wondering why all the deer get hit.
Also I think they should catch the manatee and tag them with a shock

collar
that gives negative reinforcement whenever they swim toward a boat.
We don't close the roads because a few dogs chase cars. We train the dogs.

Even School Zones for kids only require that you slow down to 15 and there
are lot more cars on the road than boats in the water.
..
Manatee Zones require that you slow to 6mph+/-.

Are manatees more important than kids?

Peggie Hall

Even School Zones for kids only require that you slow down to 15 and there
are lot more cars on the road than boats in the water.

Cars have brakes...boats don't. Cars can stop without throwing their
transmissions into reverse and then continuing to travel forward until
reverse power overcomes forward momentum. The more forward momentum, the
longer it takes a boat to stop.

Cars don't have exposed propellers either...so if one should knock down
a child at 15 mph, it's not as likely to take off an arm, leg or head as
a boat going the same speed.

Manatee Zones require that you slow to 6mph+/-.

Which is slow enough, provided that you also keep a proper lookout so
you can see anything in the water, for a reverse throttle to stop the
boat pretty close to immediately...faster and the boat will continue to
move forward.

Are manatees more important than kids?

A manatee isn't the only thing you could hit. Learning a little bit
about the dynamics of what makes your boat move and what it takes to
stop it could also save a kid's life...at the very least, it could
prevent damage to your boat.