Parallax

Default expired flare testing

Yesterday, I fired 4 expired "Orion" 12 guage flares. All four fired
but only one worked right. Results

expiration year results
1990 Worked correctly
1995 Fired but failed to ignite flare
1998 Fired and flare ignited but only went to 50'
altitude
1998 Fired but flare failed to ignite

2 Current flares: Fired and worked correctly.

Two years ago, on a very rainy New Yrs, I fired a bunch of expired
flares and all fired. However, the rain was so intense that I was
unable to determine if the flares ignited.

This test tells me that although old flares ussually fire, they do not
work well.
Matt Koch

Good info and it correlates with my experience.

I usually take my flares up to my dad's country place and fire them
off in the winter. Last winter we had a few really old ones, from the
mid 80's, most of which fired but the flare did not ignite. One of
them, however had the opposite problem, it did not fire but the flare
ignited in the barrel. That was fun!!! Drop that gun and run!!

The other thing that struck me was how much higher the hand helds
wentt and how much longer the burn time was when compared to the Orion
12 gauge flares.

I would recommend firing expired flares if you can. It's good
practice should you ever need to fire them in earnest.

Matt

(Parallax) wrote in message . com...
Yesterday, I fired 4 expired "Orion" 12 guage flares. All four fired
but only one worked right. Results

expiration year results
1990 Worked correctly
1995 Fired but failed to ignite flare
1998 Fired and flare ignited but only went to 50'
altitude
1998 Fired but flare failed to ignite

2 Current flares: Fired and worked correctly.

Two years ago, on a very rainy New Yrs, I fired a bunch of expired
flares and all fired. However, the rain was so intense that I was
unable to determine if the flares ignited.

This test tells me that although old flares ussually fire, they do not
work well.

AP

Do not fire expired flares or rockets!!
!!!!!!!!!!You may lose your hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And if you fire a valid one, be sure to wear work gloves!!!
Return expired stuff to the shop where you bought the new ones.
They now what to do with them. If they don't want them, call
the FD.
Cheers!
AP

"Paul Nightingale" wrote in message
landnet.com...
What does everyone do with their old flares? I had a heck of a time
finding an authority (Fire Department,Coast Guard) to take my expired
ones. I think we eventually had someone at the Coast Guard station take
them. I would sure like to try them out, seems like when you have some
real trouble is a bad time to learn how to use them. PS I know you can
get white flares for practice.

rhys wrote:

On 5 Jul 2004 08:39:17 -0700, (Parallax) wrote:

Yesterday, I fired 4 expired "Orion" 12 guage flares. All four fired
but only one worked right. Results

expiration year results
1990 Worked correctly
1995 Fired but failed to ignite flare
1998 Fired and flare ignited but only went to 50'
altitude
1998 Fired but flare failed to ignite

2 Current flares: Fired and worked correctly.

Two years ago, on a very rainy New Yrs, I fired a bunch of expired
flares and all fired. However, the rain was so intense that I was
unable to determine if the flares ignited.

This test tells me that although old flares ussually fire, they do not
work well.

That's instructive, Parallax. Thanks.

FWIW, we hold a "flare-off" at our YC every couple of years as the
mandatory old ones pile up. We have to alert local water cops, the
adjacent island airport and the Coast Guard, lest they think there's
been a multi-boat pile-up G

R.

Dick Locke

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 00:40:19 -0700, Paul Nightingale
wrote:

What does everyone do with their old flares?

I asked the manager at the local (Berkeley) West Marine that question
and he said he would take them.
Parallax

rhys wrote:

[...]

I live about 40 miles from the water and I just fire them from my
backyard after making sure the ground is very wet from rain.
Garland Gray II

Every year I plan on using my expired flares for practice on July 4th, and
every year I forget to have them on hand (they usually end up in the old
outboard boat). Darned if I didn't forget again this year!
I'll remember next year....
"Matt Koch" wrote in message
m...
Good info and it correlates with my experience.

I usually take my flares up to my dad's country place and fire them
off in the winter. Last winter we had a few really old ones, from the
mid 80's, most of which fired but the flare did not ignite. One of
them, however had the opposite problem, it did not fire but the flare
ignited in the barrel. That was fun!!! Drop that gun and run!!

The other thing that struck me was how much higher the hand helds
wentt and how much longer the burn time was when compared to the Orion
12 gauge flares.

I would recommend firing expired flares if you can. It's good
practice should you ever need to fire them in earnest.

Matt

(Parallax) wrote in message

. com...
Yesterday, I fired 4 expired "Orion" 12 guage flares. All four fired
but only one worked right. Results

expiration year results
1990 Worked correctly
1995 Fired but failed to ignite flare
1998 Fired and flare ignited but only went to 50'
altitude
1998 Fired but flare failed to ignite

2 Current flares: Fired and worked correctly.

Two years ago, on a very rainy New Yrs, I fired a bunch of expired
flares and all fired. However, the rain was so intense that I was
unable to determine if the flares ignited.

This test tells me that although old flares ussually fire, they do not
work well.

Parallax

"Garland Gray II" wrote in message news:9EHGc.2177$4Z3.1711@lakeread02...

When i did this, I allowed my kids to fire them since they had never
done so. Initially they were afraid because they thought there would
be a kick, now they will have no problems firing them if needed.

Every year I plan on using my expired flares for practice on July 4th, and
every year I forget to have them on hand (they usually end up in the old
outboard boat). Darned if I didn't forget again this year!
I'll remember next year....
"Matt Koch" wrote in message
m...
Good info and it correlates with my experience.

I usually take my flares up to my dad's country place and fire them
off in the winter. Last winter we had a few really old ones, from the
mid 80's, most of which fired but the flare did not ignite. One of
them, however had the opposite problem, it did not fire but the flare
ignited in the barrel. That was fun!!! Drop that gun and run!!

The other thing that struck me was how much higher the hand helds
wentt and how much longer the burn time was when compared to the Orion
12 gauge flares.

I would recommend firing expired flares if you can. It's good
practice should you ever need to fire them in earnest.

Matt

(Parallax) wrote in message

. com...
Yesterday, I fired 4 expired "Orion" 12 guage flares. All four fired
but only one worked right. Results

expiration year results
1990 Worked correctly
1995 Fired but failed to ignite flare
1998 Fired and flare ignited but only went to 50'
altitude
1998 Fired but flare failed to ignite

2 Current flares: Fired and worked correctly.

Two years ago, on a very rainy New Yrs, I fired a bunch of expired
flares and all fired. However, the rain was so intense that I was
unable to determine if the flares ignited.

This test tells me that although old flares ussually fire, they do not
work well.

Random hammer testing Fred Boat Building 1 May 20th 04 02:27 PM
laser flare Parallax Cruising 6 February 20th 04 05:05 PM
Testing Betteries Rick & Linda Bernard Cruising 40 January 29th 04 04:02 AM
A MAJOR SOLAR FLARE IS HEADED TO EARTH. Capt. Frank Hopkins General 2 October 29th 03 07:09 AM