Steve

Default Spare Prop. Wrong shaft size!$##%^&*

I picked up a spare prop several years ago.. Just happened to be the
recommended Dia./Pitch for my installation. The price was right..

I went to install it last summer and found that the bore was 1 1/8" while
my shaft is 1 1/4" .. (I had made an incorrect assumption, since this prop
came off a sister Ingrid 38, the shafts would be the same size.)

I really want to use this prop for my Inside Passage this summer since I
will be doing a lot of motoring. It has a larger diameter and less pitch
(17"X11") than my OEM prop.

Anyway, I need to increase the prop bore but the lathe, with taper
attachment, that I have access to, can't swing the 17" dia..

Does anyone have any experience with having a prop shop increase the prop
bore?? A regular machine shop isn't really geared up for this type of work
and the amount of set up time would drive the cost up too much.

I contacted a prop shop in Port Townsend and they said it could be done in
Seattle but had no idea of what it might cost.

Any comments or experience (cost) would be appreciated.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Wayne.B

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 19:55:51 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

I contacted a prop shop in Port Townsend and they said it could be done in
Seattle but had no idea of what it might cost.

Any comments or experience (cost) would be appreciated.

Should be an easy job for a prop shop. I'd estimate something in the
$100 to $200 range, maybe less. After reboring they also have to cut
a new keyway slot, otherwise it would be a really easy job.

Brian Whatcott

[...]

Assuming the prop has a fair hub face, a
taper tool in a drill press or better, would
do the job. A taper reamer would be a
useful finish tool.

Brian W

engsol

Steve,
You might give Precision Machine in Bellingham a call
360-734-1081. They do a bit of prop and prop shaft work.
Norm B

[...]

Steve

"Paul L" wrote in message
Check the PropShop in Mukilteo. http://www.propshopltd.com/

Paul

I just got off the phone with the Prop Shop and was relieved and surprised
that the price quoted was only ~$62 with one day service.

Sounds like "a deal" to me.. I'll take it over the next time I'm going to be
in that area (170 miles away).

Thanks Paul and others who responded.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Glenn Ashmore

As you may not be sure what service it has had in the past it might be a
good idea to have them checl the balance while it is there. I see they
have one of those hi-tech balancing systems.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Steve" wrote in message

"Paul L" wrote in message
Check the PropShop in Mukilteo. http://www.propshopltd.com/

Paul

I just got off the phone with the Prop Shop and was relieved and surprised
that the price quoted was only ~$62 with one day service.

Sounds like "a deal" to me.. I'll take it over the next time I'm going to

be
in that area (170 miles away).

Thanks Paul and others who responded.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Steve

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
As you may not be sure what service it has had in the past it might be a
good idea to have them checl the balance while it is there. I see they
have one of those hi-tech balancing systems.

Good point Glenn.
Although there is no evidences of previous damage or abuse, it would be
worth a few more bucks to check both the individual blade pitch and overall
balance.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Prop christopher krigbaum General 4 June 26th 04 01:07 PM
Angle of prop shaft - theoretical question. Gary Warner General 103 June 18th 04 05:32 AM
"get home" electric motor coupling to prop shaft? BOEING377 Electronics 10 November 17th 03 12:15 AM
Prop shaft Part#44-824110 M.E. General 1 September 25th 03 09:19 AM