RCE RCE is offline

Default Poor man's Air Conditioning

We intended to have A/C installed in Mrs.E's boat during the layup last
winter, but things got busy and the plan was shelved, at least for a while.
With summer finally beginning to present itself and the humidity rising, I
decided to try installing a regular window A/C unit in the aft cabin access
hatch as a temporary solution. Bought a small chunk of marine plywood, cut
it to fit the hatch, sealed it with rubber strips to prevent water intrusion
and painted it white.

The acid test was two days ago with temps in the mid 90's and high humidity.
The little 10,000 BTU A/C unit was able to cool the entire boat down to a
comfortable 74 degrees.

Looks a little tacky, but it works.

http://www.eisboch.com/pangea2

Eisboch

Senior Member

On Jun 30, 4:39 pm, "RCE" wrote:
We intended to have A/C installed in Mrs.E's boat during the layup last
winter, but things got busy and the plan was shelved, at least for a while.
With summer finally beginning to present itself and the humidity rising, I
decided to try installing a regular window A/C unit in the aft cabin access
hatch as a temporary solution. Bought a small chunk of marine plywood, cut
it to fit the hatch, sealed it with rubber strips to prevent water intrusion
and painted it white.

The acid test was two days ago with temps in the mid 90's and high humidity.
The little 10,000 BTU A/C unit was able to cool the entire boat down to a
comfortable 74 degrees.

Looks a little tacky, but it works.

http://www.eisboch.com/pangea2

Eisboch

I think you should get a deflector off of an old jet engine and make
that heat exchanger look like a jet engine. Talk about a stern
thruster

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 16:39:36 -0400, "RCE" wrote:

We intended to have A/C installed in Mrs.E's boat during the layup last
winter, but things got busy and the plan was shelved, at least for a while.
With summer finally beginning to present itself and the humidity rising, I
decided to try installing a regular window A/C unit in the aft cabin access
hatch as a temporary solution. Bought a small chunk of marine plywood, cut
it to fit the hatch, sealed it with rubber strips to prevent water intrusion
and painted it white.

The acid test was two days ago with temps in the mid 90's and high humidity.
The little 10,000 BTU A/C unit was able to cool the entire boat down to a
comfortable 74 degrees.

Looks a little tacky, but it works.

http://www.eisboch.com/pangea2

Eisboch

Heck, if you put some stained molding around it, it would look like it was
born there.
--
John H

Looks great to me! Cheaper, and prolly works just as well as a "marine" a/c
unit. Will the condensate runoff stain the deck? My guess is no since it's
essencially distilled water, but what do I know... just a thought. The A/C
on my boat is the throttle. :-)

--Mike

"RCE" wrote in message
We intended to have A/C installed in Mrs.E's boat during the layup last
winter, but things got busy and the plan was shelved, at least for a
while. With summer finally beginning to present itself and the humidity
rising, I decided to try installing a regular window A/C unit in the aft
cabin access hatch as a temporary solution. Bought a small chunk of
marine plywood, cut it to fit the hatch, sealed it with rubber strips to
prevent water intrusion and painted it white.

The acid test was two days ago with temps in the mid 90's and high
humidity. The little 10,000 BTU A/C unit was able to cool the entire boat
down to a comfortable 74 degrees.

Looks a little tacky, but it works.

http://www.eisboch.com/pangea2

Eisboch

RCE RCE is offline

"Mike" wrote in message
. net...

Looks great to me! Cheaper, and prolly works just as well as a "marine"
a/c unit. Will the condensate runoff stain the deck? My guess is no since
it's essencially distilled water, but what do I know... just a thought.
The A/C on my boat is the throttle. :-)

--Mike

Heh. The throttle provides very little natural A/C on this boat. 7.5 kt
cruise and 9 kt WOT (running down the backside of a large wave).

The portable marine type that fits in a standard hatch (which this boat does
not have) has less BTU capacity and is around 900 bucks. A "real" water
cooled unit is double that, plus it involves installing new thru hulls,
strainers and sea cocks, plus duct work. Beyond my capability and will have
to wait until the boat is hauled.

Meanwhile, this setup's total cost was about 240 bucks (including the new
A/C) and about two hours of my time to take measurements, cut the wood,
paint, install the unit and wire a separate shore power connector for it. I
was very proud of myself as the boat's main cabin cooled down from 90
degrees to the mid 70's in a couple of hours. The aft cabin was like a
freezer.

Eisboch

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 16:39:36 -0400, "RCE" wrote:

Looks a little tacky, but it works.

Dosen't look that bad, although sticking out of the window like that
makes for a few barked shins from time to time.

Not bad at all.
RCE RCE is offline

Default Tuna! (was Poor man's Air Conditioning)

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 16:39:36 -0400, "RCE" wrote:

Looks a little tacky, but it works.

Dosen't look that bad, although sticking out of the window like that
makes for a few barked shins from time to time.

Not bad at all.

I can't believe all the tuna being caught in Cape Cod Bay this year.
Usually, it's a rare occurrence when a boat comes in with one and it usually
does not start until mid-August.
This year the fishing types have been getting 150-175 lb "footballs" on a
daily basis and have been since the beginning of June. Global warming?

I lost my lust for general fishing (cod, stripers, blues, etc.) but going
after tuna is still a thrill. The GB has the right speed, but there would
be no way to land one unless I hauled it aboard with the mast and boom.
The Navigator would actually not be bad as a tuna boat. It has a huge
molded swim platform and cockpit and a "tuna" door built into the transom.
I'd have to get one of those giant coolers to carry the ice and catch
though.

I am thinking maybe of bringing it up to Scituate for a week or two, put it
on a mooring and give the tuna fishing a try again. I'd have to get the
angler's permit renewed though but if I remember correctly, they will fax or
e-mail it to you the same day you submit the paperwork which also can be
done electronically.

Eisboch

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 07:31:57 -0400, "RCE" wrote:

.. .
[...]

Yeah, it's kind of an interesting year - probably the best striper
year in the past three or four. I think it has something to do with
the closing of the EEZ around Block out to the Sub Bouy - the bait
aren't being reduced by the reduction fleet. I'm hearing reports of
really big stripers - a free diving spear fisherman took a 67 lber off
Fort Adams in Narragansett Bay a couple of weeks ago (world's record
for free diving spear by 8 pounds) and line/pole types have been
regularly reporting 40/50 pounders.

I've heard reports of tuna in Massachuetts Bay off Provincetown which
is kind of unusual and Halfway Rock off Marblehead/Beverly/Manchester
which is in range for my Ranger on a good day.

Note: I wonder if Mrs. Wave would let me buy another Contender?

HAH!!

The Federal fisheries permit can be done electronically and I think
it's still $20 - I haven't gotten one in a while.

Hey - go for it. Tuna fishing isn't a fav of mine (personally I think
tuna fishing is boring), but if you like it, do it.

"RCE" wrote in message
news

[...]

The Japanese would pay a small fortune for any tuna you caught.

RCE RCE is offline

Hey - go for it. Tuna fishing isn't a fav of mine (personally I think
tuna fishing is boring), but if you like it, do it.

I just came back from Scituate. I was wrong. The tuna being caught are not
the typical smaller "footballs". These are bigger and there's always the
possibility of a giant among them. These fish have not been in Cape Cod Bay
for many years. I agree, tuna fishing can be boring sometimes until
someone on the boat yells, "Fish on!" Then all hell breaks loose.

The flounder are back also ... even in the harbor. They've been hard to
find for almost 20 years when Quincy Bay was the world's greatest flounder
area. Somthin' strange going on.

Off to the Cape to check on the Navigator Tuna Barge ....

Eisboch