Default How to glue Avon hypalon registration sticker 'mounting plate' to Zodiac PVC boat?

I bought a pair of Avon 'registration mounting plates', Avon part
number #N00074 (and West Marine SKU #400499), and would like to glue
them on to my Zodiac (which is made of PVC). The mounting plates are
made of hypalon. Has anybody actually done this? If so, what glue did
you use, and how good were your results?

Avon suggested using their two-part hypalon glue to do the trick, but
paying over $40 just for glue, on top of over $20 for the mounting
plates, is hard to swallow. I would hate to pay that much for glue only
to have the mounting plates fail to make a strong bond to the PVC.

I have seen a rec.boats.cruising post from a few years back that
mentioned that the one-part hypalon glue doesn't even stick to the
mounting plates, so that is a non-starter. A different post mentioned
that there is a less-expensive two-part glue called Rema Tip Top
SC-2000 that works on hypalon, but whether it will also adhere to the
PVC fabric is unknown (I may try contacting the company directly to see
if they can advise me). I haven't yet found a dealer for the SC-2000,
but I'll ask the company about that, too.

So, has anybody actually done this and gotten acceptable results?

Rosalie B.

wrote:

I bought a pair of Avon 'registration mounting plates', Avon part
number #N00074 (and West Marine SKU #400499), and would like to glue
them on to my Zodiac (which is made of PVC). The mounting plates are
made of hypalon. Has anybody actually done this? If so, what glue did
you use, and how good were your results?

Our registration plates are detachable - they are tied on to the dink.
I wouldn't think it would be a good idea to put a solid plate on a
flexible part of the dinghy where it can inflate and deflate. If I
didn't have the plates attached more loosely than glued on, I'd put
the numbers directly on the dink.

Avon suggested using their two-part hypalon glue to do the trick, but
paying over $40 just for glue, on top of over $20 for the mounting
plates, is hard to swallow. I would hate to pay that much for glue only
to have the mounting plates fail to make a strong bond to the PVC.

I have seen a rec.boats.cruising post from a few years back that
mentioned that the one-part hypalon glue doesn't even stick to the
mounting plates, so that is a non-starter. A different post mentioned
that there is a less-expensive two-part glue called Rema Tip Top
SC-2000 that works on hypalon, but whether it will also adhere to the
PVC fabric is unknown (I may try contacting the company directly to see
if they can advise me). I haven't yet found a dealer for the SC-2000,
but I'll ask the company about that, too.

So, has anybody actually done this and gotten acceptable results?

grandma Rosalie

The plot thickens... This is what Weaver had to say about the question:

The Next is a little involved first thing you do is sand the back of
the registration pad with 80 grit paper. Then get the PVC two part glue
and put a layer of glue on the pad and on the inflatable let it dry
completely then put another layer of glue on let it sit for a little
bit to the glue get tacky. Use a hair drier to warm up the pad and the
inflatable put the two pieces together rub the air bubbles out and
leave them alone for a couple of days.

Junior Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I bought a pair of Avon 'registration mounting plates', Avon part
number #N00074 (and West Marine SKU #400499), and would like to glue
them on to my Zodiac (which is made of PVC). The mounting plates are
made of hypalon. Has anybody actually done this? If so, what glue did
you use, and how good were your results?
A different post mentioned
that there is a less-expensive two-part glue called Rema Tip Top
SC-2000 that works on hypalon, but whether it will also adhere to the
PVC fabric is unknown (I may try contacting the company directly to see
if they can advise me). I haven't yet found a dealer for the SC-2000,
but I'll ask the company about that, too.

So, has anybody actually done this and gotten acceptable results?
I have had great success with SC2000 for repairs to inflatable boats & it just about sticks anything to anything. Aply with a brush to both sides or give a thicker coat to one side & you dont have that long a pot life so have it all ready & preped to go before you add your hardner ! I used an old keel tube as the material to repair blown seams & holes/tears. Use the buffer before applying & ensure good contact with weights , straps tape or whatever & leave for as long as possible to set & reach full strength. I usually leave them for 3 days min. more the better.
Try to get the hardner in the right proportion which I think was 25 to 1.
In our warmer climates less hardner is better than more & it reaches a higher strength I think though it may take an extra day to cure too much hardner compromises the flexibility & strenght I think. I bought mine through a tire shop but there are a couple of suppliers - a 1kg with hardner is about $80 plus on one site & you need a can of buffer I think you can buy the lot in a kit.

Thinking of becoming a live aboard richard Cruising 27 November 3rd 05 10:27 PM
Who Am I Skipper General 38 October 19th 05 07:50 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 7 October 12th 05 10:25 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM