Scott Schaus

Default Odd noise and compression drop

Boat specs: 1967 SeaRay 190SRV with OMC 185 in/out drive. GM small block V8,
283 cid.

Laid-up for winter, working top-notch at end of last season. Winterized
before storage.

Started right up after prepared for new season. When put in the water engine
started to have a miss. If distributor plug wire for cylinder number 7, is
removed from distributor cap, miss seems to go away.

Put all new ignition parts in and acted the same way.

Have tried to run boat in water to get rid of possible carbon, but boat bogs
and backfires even when increasing speed very slowly. At low speeds o.k.,
but when medium speeds are reached, backfiring starts.

Took off valave cover. No broken springs. Checked compression on all
cylinders and all had same psi of 90.

Mechanic suggested new gas.

Other mechanic at lake said low compression and take off both heads and have
hard seats installed.

Weird part is that boat ran fine at layup last fall. Inside all winter mand
profesionally laid up with new fluids and engine fogged out.

Any ideas what could be gong on.

Thanks,

S. Schaus

Steve Barker

That sure sounds like 5 and 7 are crossed. Is that possible.?

--
Steve (here to have fun) Barker
Stilwell, Kansas

=======================
Remove the not dot from my address to abuse my email box
[...]

VernMan

Hi,

I had a 74' Fiberform with a 302 Ford engine that sat for many years
before I bought it. The first few times I used it, it idled fine but
backfired at more than 1/2 throttle. The problem was the springs for
the mechanical advance in the distributor had rusted and were weak,
allowing the timing to over advance. New springs fixed that problem.

Also, since it sat for so long, carbon started flaking off the
pistons/heads. It took several months of running, and cleaning plugs
before the carbon worked its way out. Meantime, I would foul a plug 2
or 3 times a day.

Hope this helps,

Ron

Calif Bill

Yes it is timing advance. You advance the timing a bunch when coasting and
the vacuum is high. No knocking and you get much better mileage. Is why
boats do not have the vacuum line on marine distributors.
Bill

"Bill" wrote in message
No it is for timing advance