werlax

Default Winterize - battery?

For those of you who have gone through a winter with their boat
before, I'm curious about something. This is, pretty obviously, my
first winter for the boat and I'm not sure how necessary it is to
physically remove the batteries from the boat. I'll disconnect them,
but they're in a difficult spot and I'd rather not have to kill myself
getting them out. Also, on a related note... I'm assuming the digital
hour meter I have isn't going to reset?
Thanks!
Harry Krause

werlax wrote:
For those of you who have gone through a winter with their boat
before, I'm curious about something. This is, pretty obviously, my
first winter for the boat and I'm not sure how necessary it is to
physically remove the batteries from the boat. I'll disconnect them,
but they're in a difficult spot and I'd rather not have to kill myself
getting them out. Also, on a related note... I'm assuming the digital
hour meter I have isn't going to reset?
Thanks!

If you're in a cold climate, I suggest you yank the batteries, take them
home, clean them up, add distilled water if they are wet cells, and
store them where the temp stays above freezing. Then I'd top them up
once a month with an auto-shut off charger. That's what I do with my
boat batteries.

Email sent to will never reach me.

del cecchi

"werlax" wrote in message
om...
For those of you who have gone through a winter with their boat
before, I'm curious about something. This is, pretty obviously, my
first winter for the boat and I'm not sure how necessary it is to
physically remove the batteries from the boat. I'll disconnect them,
but they're in a difficult spot and I'd rather not have to kill myself
getting them out. Also, on a related note... I'm assuming the digital
hour meter I have isn't going to reset?
Thanks!

Ideally you would charge them periodically, although if you store the
boat in cold enough conditions this doesn't seem to be necessary. An
hour meter that reset everytime the power went off like an old digital
clock would be a pretty poor design. Easy to find out however.

del cecchi

Lawrence James

It's fine to just leave them in the boat. As long as they are fully charged
they can not freeze. It would be nice if you could charge them a little a
few times during the winter but not critical. Wet cell batteries are best
if used occasionally.

"werlax" wrote in message
om...
For those of you who have gone through a winter with their boat
before, I'm curious about something. This is, pretty obviously, my
first winter for the boat and I'm not sure how necessary it is to
physically remove the batteries from the boat. I'll disconnect them,
but they're in a difficult spot and I'd rather not have to kill myself
getting them out. Also, on a related note... I'm assuming the digital
hour meter I have isn't going to reset?
Thanks!

Messing In Boats

I live in Minnesota where it gets -30 and never take them out because
it's too much of a hassle. I top them with water, charge them up and put
them to bed for the winter. On one boat I put one of those 600 milliamp
maintainer/chargers and the other one gets a regular charge every month.
I clean the terminals in the spring and have never had a problem.

Don't try this with a marginal battery, though. If it loses charge it
could freeze and now you have a real mess with battery acid all over.

Capt. Jeff

Battery charging Michael Remski General 11 October 11th 03 01:11 AM
Battery Disconnect Switch (wiring) Matt General 1 September 20th 03 03:26 PM
More Battery Questions CaptMP General 3 August 26th 03 08:22 PM
Sealant for battery? Clams Canino General 2 August 16th 03 05:45 AM
Which Battery To Buy Gary Warner General 1 July 22nd 03 02:55 AM