marklan

Default Prop spin generator

I hear the there is a company that makes one and it generates when you are
under sail.Has any one heard of this?

AC

If you mean generation via an existing normally powered prop, then I would
say this is very unlikely. The friction losses (aside from the inefficient
prop) would be too great in a system designed to be engine driven.

A wind gen would generate far more efficiently.

"marklan" wrote in message
I hear the there is a company that makes one and it generates when you are
under sail.Has any one heard of this?

Jeff Richards

I can't imagine that it would be a special item. All you need is a standard
generator or alternator, a pulley on the shaft, and a fan belt to suit.
Considering the variations in different installations, it wouldn't be worth
the manufacturer's effort to put a kit together.
--

"marklan" wrote in message
I hear the there is a company that makes one and it generates when you are
under sail.Has any one heard of this?

AC

Although I only have physics training, not engineering, I would say that
this is a non-practical setup. Your motor is driven (probably) by a large
torque, low-revving motor. The output [and drivetrain] is designed to handle
this, and the small input you will get from the water/hull is negligible.

Working in reverse, you will encounter many probs, not the least of which,
is the prop is being worked counter to its normal operation. Friction of
normally slow-moving bearings would be the major one, I suspect.

"marklan" wrote in message
I hear the there is a company that makes one and it generates when you

are
under sail.Has any one heard of this?

AC

Is the water--elect--Generator post an explanation of what you're on about?
Post in more detail in future, so that someone might answer you without
wasting their time...

"marklan" wrote in message
I hear the there is a company that makes one and it generates when you are
under sail.Has any one heard of this?

d parker

There are two designs I have seen.

One is the trailing prop style.. Which is really an impeller that you toss
over the stern

The other was a pulley attached to the prop shaft. The gearbox is left in
neutral, while sailing, which allows the shaft to spin and run the attached
generator.

DP

"marklan" wrote in message
I hear the there is a company that makes one and it generates when you are
under sail.Has any one heard of this?

BL

"marklan" wrote in message
I hear the there is a company that makes one and it generates when you are
under sail.Has any one heard of this?

prop advise needed Gregory McGuire General 3 July 7th 04 01:25 AM
Prop christopher krigbaum General 4 June 26th 04 01:07 PM
Volvo 270 outdrive prop cone replacement? Bob General 5 May 18th 04 08:57 PM
Removing lower unit from 40 hp Johnson outboard - Help? Brian Silver General 9 September 29th 03 06:17 PM
1972 Johnson 20 HP - Can't Find A Prop RDJ Boat Building 2 September 6th 03 01:18 PM