Steven Shelikoff

Default Clogged fuel tank vent

Anyone have any tried and true tricks for unclogging a completely
blocked diesel fuel tank vent?

Steve
WestlakeY

We had a spider problem aboard. Plugged up the supply side and pressurized the
fill pipe. Blew out all the debris.
Florida Keyz

I used an air hose connection to my dive tank and blew it out. I did not have
access to the tank side.

sterling
Roy G. Biv

(Steven Shelikoff) wrote in message ...
Anyone have any tried and true tricks for unclogging a completely
blocked diesel fuel tank vent?

I had a diesel fuel vent clog once on my W27, the mesh on the vent
itself had eroded away and what we call a "mud dauber" (wasp?) made
its nest in there, at most a couple inches in from the hull fittng.
best to remove the hose so debris cant work its way back to the tank,
I don't remember what I used for a ram rod but I broke up the nest and
replaced the screen in the vent end of problem

Keith

Chock up some SS cable in your drill and roto-rooter it out. Obviously pick
a cable size that will bend enough to get through there and run the drill in
the proper direction so it won't unwind the cable.

"Roy G. Biv" wrote in message
om...
(Steven Shelikoff) wrote in message ...
Anyone have any tried and true tricks for unclogging a completely
blocked diesel fuel tank vent?

I had a diesel fuel vent clog once on my W27, the mesh on the vent
itself had eroded away and what we call a "mud dauber" (wasp?) made
its nest in there, at most a couple inches in from the hull fittng.
best to remove the hose so debris cant work its way back to the tank,
I don't remember what I used for a ram rod but I broke up the nest and
replaced the screen in the vent end of problem

Phil

I had mud daubers build a nest in each side of mine. I could get at the
starboard side and pull the hose off and vacuumed it out but the port side I
drilled a 3/16 hole dead center in the outside vent so I could poke at it
straight and vacuumed it from the outside. Just don't leave the vac there
long or you might start to suck fuel if its full. You could always stick a
screw in the hole after or a dab of silicone to fill the hole.
Worked well for me.

Phil

"Steven Shelikoff" wrote in message
Anyone have any tried and true tricks for unclogging a completely
blocked diesel fuel tank vent?

Steve

sound like a clogged fuel vent? Black-n-Gold General 2 July 26th 04 01:41 AM
97 sea ray sundancer fuel tank? Run all 8 General 1 April 17th 04 07:34 PM
Homemade water tanks. Backyard Renegade Boat Building 11 October 27th 03 02:07 PM
Clogged Waste Tank Vent JML General 3 September 17th 03 02:47 AM
Clogged waste tank vent RG General 0 September 15th 03 10:50 AM