christos

Default 18 feet boat

18 feet boat with an outboard motor of 350 pounds at the aft end how much
will submerged in the water
the boat weights 1600 pounds without engine.
christos

BruceM

Get your old school books out & do a few calculations!!
One thing to remember is that if you find the waterline without any motor on
the boat & then hang the 350lbs on the stern, you will get some lifting of
the bow, so in actual fact the stern will probably go down the equivilent of
550lbs.
Because no-one here knows the shape of your boat, they won't be able to give
you much help.
Basically, if you increase the weight by 350lbs then your boat will displace
that much more weight IN WATER.
Using Aussie galls.
Assuming the water is distilled water, then it weighs 10lbs per gallon.
6.25 gallons per cu ft.
Equals 5.6 cu ft displaced.
Assuming your boat is 15.5ft at water line & average width at same line is
5.5ft.
By my calc if the 350 is placed at dead centre is approx 3/4 inch overall.
Now back to being on the stern??
My guess is bow up by 1 1/2 & stern down by 2 1/4 inches?
Anybody else want to have a guess?
BruceM

"christos" wrote in message
18 feet boat with an outboard motor of 350 pounds at the aft end how much
will submerged in the water
the boat weights 1600 pounds without engine.
christos

Brian D

Christos,

This sounds like a straight forward question, but it unfortunately is not.
It really depends on the boat. Not just on the boat's lines (hull shape)
but also on the boat's weight distribution (not just weight). If you own
the boat, and are considering putting a motor on it that weighs 350#, then
it might be worth your while to actually load the boat and then take a look
at it. Buy seven 50# bags of 'tube sand', or fill buckets or whatever, and
place the weight in the stern. If a motor is already on it and you know how
much it weighs, then it would be better to just make up the difference, with
sand or bricks or whatever, and take a look. I know a guy who did this, but
he was trying to maximize fuel storage in a boat he was building and was
doing some 'manual weight and balance' work and already knew what motor
he was going to use.

Brian

--
My boat project: http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass

"christos" wrote in message
18 feet boat with an outboard motor of 350 pounds at the aft end how much
will submerged in the water
the boat weights 1600 pounds without engine.
christos

Brian Whatcott

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 20:41:15 GMT, "christos"
wrote:

18 feet boat with an outboard motor of 350 pounds at the aft end how much
will submerged in the water
the boat weights 1600 pounds without engine.
christos

Here's a person looking for a rough, rough estimate.
Use an equivalent box of 9 X 7 ft
that's 58530X gm for X submersion in cm

1600lb = 727273 gm
So submersion is 727273 / 58530 = 12.4 cm = 5 inches.
Another 2 inch aft with the motor.

Brian W

christos

thanks all for the reply.

the boat is bought with the motor .
it has a V bottom is a planning hull
is an open center console type and the fuel tank is located in the center
line
boat is foam filled
the console is located from bow at 2.70 meters
the center of fuel tank is located 3.30 meters from the bow and is 1.8 metrs
long by 50cm by 28 cm
50 kgs batteries is under the console
waterline lenght is 4.92 mt max width 2.03 mt
what is your estimation for imersion of the boat in the salt water

christos

"christos" wrote in message
18 feet boat with an outboard motor of 350 pounds at the aft end how much
will submerged in the water
the boat weights 1600 pounds without engine.
christos

christos

bruce i dont know
i launch the boat in the water and i took following draft
fore 28 cm
aft 40 cm
boat contains 120 liters of gasoline
the strange thing is that the drain holes located at 30 cm height from keel
and the deck is 38 cm

have you ever seen a boat with this consruction or you can say what is the
weight of the boat with the cargo

christos

"BruceM" wrote in message
I give up ! ! tell us?
BruceM

.. .

"christos" wrote in message
18 feet boat with an outboard motor of 350 pounds at the aft end how

much
will submerged in the water
the boat weights 1600 pounds without engine.
christos

BruceM

I'm sorry Christos, but there's not really enough info for me to comment. I
can only guess what the boat really looks like. Usually in most boats of
that size there are two different drain plugs. One within an inch or so of
the absolute bottom of the boat. This is to drain the below deck compartment
among some other functions like maybe checking if your below deck fuel tank
has sprung a leak!
The one higher up is for draining the deck area and for washing down after
an outing. On many boats this is slightly lower than the deck because there
is a slight well at the back of the deck to "collect" the water.
Now to contradict that last one, there are more & more boats now being
designed with "self draining decks", with scuppers attached to holes at the
rear of the deck.
The measurements don't mean a lot really because unless I know the deadrise
& lots of other details, then I can't comment.
Why are you concerned? Does it look too low in the water?
Are you sure that the 30 CM holes aren't just from the outboard well?
brumer

"christos" wrote in message
.. .
bruce i dont know
i launch the boat in the water and i took following draft
fore 28 cm
aft 40 cm
boat contains 120 liters of gasoline
the strange thing is that the drain holes located at 30 cm height from

keel
and the deck is 38 cm

have you ever seen a boat with this consruction or you can say what is the
weight of the boat with the cargo

christos

"BruceM" wrote in message
I give up ! ! tell us?
BruceM

.. .

"christos" wrote in message
18 feet boat with an outboard motor of 350 pounds at the aft end how

much
will submerged in the water
the boat weights 1600 pounds without engine.
christos

christos

"BruceM" wrote in message ...
I'm sorry Christos, but there's not really enough info for me to comment. I
can only guess what the boat really looks like. Usually in most boats of
that size there are two different drain plugs. One within an inch or so of
the absolute bottom of the boat. This is to drain the below deck compartment
among some other functions like maybe checking if your below deck fuel tank
has sprung a leak!

is a hole for the drain of the hull in the lower point and in the center of the V

The one higher up is for draining the deck area and for washing down after
an outing. On many boats this is slightly lower than the deck because there
is a slight well at the back of the deck to "collect" the water.

the 30 cm holes drain out the mentioned well

Now to contradict that last one, there are more & more boats now being
designed with "self draining decks", with scuppers attached to holes at the
rear of the deck.
The measurements don't mean a lot really because unless I know the deadrise
& lots of other details, then I can't comment.
Why are you concerned? Does it look too low in the water?

yes and water enters inside in the well and also coming on the deck

Are you sure that the 30 CM holes aren't just from the outboard well?
brumer

is from the well but i feel that the boat going to sink and also i cant see water in the well always

the deck is located about 10 cm higher and darin the waters in this well
if i go to the aft and add my weight the well becomes full off water the water start enters in the deck and start flooding a near by, fish well adding more weight about 60 liters or more and make the things more worst.
I DONT KNOW IF THIS CORRECT
i start cutting on the deck holes and i inspect the internal foam for waters
i dont see terrible things
then i remove the foam in the aft section i raise the well bottom about 8 cm higher and relocate the drain holes
also i fit a watertight cover to the fish well.
in the new empty space installed a bilge pump
never i test the boat after that.
the boat is a Robalo US made somewhere 80 to 90 i am not sure is a strong construction and planning fast reaching easy 48 knots in calm wheather with 175 hp engine.
i spend lot of my time and personal effort so i dont want to see my tries to fail
the dead rise angle is 18 degrees and really i dont know what this means
when the boat planning all the v is outside the water almost near to surface

back to you
christos

"christos" wrote in message
.. .
bruce i dont know
i launch the boat in the water and i took following draft
fore 28 cm
aft 40 cm
boat contains 120 liters of gasoline
the strange thing is that the drain holes located at 30 cm height from

keel
and the deck is 38 cm

have you ever seen a boat with this consruction or you can say what is the
weight of the boat with the cargo

christos

"BruceM" wrote in message
I give up ! ! tell us?
BruceM

.. .

"christos" wrote in message
18 feet boat with an outboard motor of 350 pounds at the aft end how
much
will submerged in the water
the boat weights 1600 pounds without engine.
christos

OT Hanoi John Kerry Christopher Robin General 34 March 29th 04 01:13 PM
offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 04:23 PM
Where to find ramp stories? designo General 15 December 9th 03 09:57 PM
Dealing with a boat fire, checking for a common cause Gould 0738 General 14 November 5th 03 02:13 PM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM