Default Laptop recommendations

On 3/30/2017 11:20 AM, justan wrote:
Wrote in message:
On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 05:48:47 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 3/29/2017 9:04 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 29 Mar 2017 19:34:37 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

You can get back in forth to work in a Tesla too but you don't really
need all of that power. I guess if you want the biggest and baddest
machine on the block, go for it. You can afford it. ;-)

Lesson I learned a long time ago from a old timer
mechanical engineer (P.E.)

"When in doubt, make it stout".

Unfortunately, in the computer biz, stout is not the same as fast.
I had to give up my PC based MP3 players because once you got much
beyond a P1 166, reliability in the Florida car environment because
you couldn't keep them cool. The same was true of hard drives. Once
you got much over 10-15gig, they started getting more heat sensitive.

My interest in laptops used to be as cheap (to run) servers since they
used to run at "night light" levels of power. This last one I got came
with a 90w power brick. You need to put a towel in your lap if you
actually use it as a laptop or you will roast your nuts. The Dell
Latitude (P3/400 W/98 machine) I am running back in the shop is always
cool to the touch.
The specs say it pulls a max of 36w but it seems to cruise in the
10-15w just talking to the printer, scanner or banging an external
hard drive.

Greg, not many people use or are as interested in computers as you are.
I really am not interested in seeing how long I could use Windows 98.

When your objective does not change, why should your hardware and
software change? Most home users are doing very simple tasks on their
PC and yet we have convinced them they need a machine that is as fast
as the ones used by animators at Pixar. I guess it is just me but my
97 Honda gets me up to the Publix just as well as a brand new Bugatti
would. I do not measure my self worth by things I have acquired.

Lets not get testy, boys

Not getting testy on my part and didn't mean to insult anyone. I
respect Greg's hobby and interest in keeping old computers running and
using them for all the things he likes to do. It just isn't for everyone.

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 12:28:43 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

Not getting testy on my part and didn't mean to insult anyone. I
respect Greg's hobby and interest in keeping old computers running and
using them for all the things he likes to do. It just isn't for everyone.

I guess my problem is I got into the PC business working out of the
parts room. IBM upper management made the decision that hardware guys
had no use for PCs and there was no budget for them. When I said
something about it to my direct manager she said "you know how to get
parts don't you"? I could order everything but cases (they have a
serial number like the receiver of a gun) and that is why my early
machines were all built in wooden boxes. We were managing $12M in
parts with a pencil so I had a good business use.
Once I got into it I figured out how many parts were being replaced in
a "FRU bucket" that were not bad (blindly throwing several parts at a
problem and not isolating further) so I started trolling the returns
for parts. There was an IBM internal "swap" BB where I could trade
used good parts for all sorts of things.
I had the same issue with software. We had no budget for software but
we had software writers who put their stuff, that IBM said no on, up
on the internal network. There were also lots of cool tools that never
actually saw the light of day in the retail world.
I just found pleasure taking things that nobody else wanted and
creating new things we needed.

justan wrote:
Keyser Soze Wrote in message:
wrote:

[...]

Greg apparently has lots of hours to fill during the day keeping his old
computers running, carpeting his home town with tiki bars, and building
RV trailers out of old bed frames. As soon as he picks up enough old
microwave ovens from dumpsters, he'll be able to communicate directly
with the Trump administration.

It's his hobby. Do you have a hobby?

Harry's hobby is being one of the supreme arsholes on the Internet.

justan wrote:
Bill Wrote in message:
Poco Deplorevole wrote:
On Wed, 29 Mar 2017 16:25:49 -0000 (UTC), Bill wrote:

wrote:
On Wed, 29 Mar 2017 05:17:47 -0400, Poco Deplorevole
wrote:

This summer will see us doing a bit of travelling, and I'm finally
giving serious thought to getting
a laptop. Any one having good or bad luck with theirs?

I have had pretty good luck with Lenovo (formerly IBM) and my 2 1996
vintage 365s still run but they are not fast enough to do much.

We use tablets. Both wife and I have iPad mini. Works well for traveling.
Gets and sends email. Which is 80% of the travel use. Other 20% is
looking up local places or maps. Tablets are great for that. We download
books from our local library as well as Amazon so when on airplanes can
read or play games. For wifi we either use hotels, phone hotspot, or
Starbucks or McDonald's. I also have Xfinity for home, and they have
public wifi wherever Comcast is a provider. The tablet is a lot more
convenient than a laptop for travel, where you do not need it for business
use.

My wife's got a tablet she uses in the truck for finding campgrounds,
cheap fuel, etc, plus all the
stuff she does. I want something on which I can store files, pay bills, etc.

I can bank online with the the iPad. Depending on memory size, can store
stuff, and use for pictures. It runs safari or Crome.

Does the Apple stuff allow use of sd cards for storage? Freind of
mine was complaining that she was getting memory full errors. I
didn't see a way to add storage to her phone.

Nope, but the android tablets allow adding memory.

wrote:

[...]

There are external storage devices that work with iPhone and iPads.

She wants to carry her tunes, photos and every email and SMS she
has ever recieved, on her phone.
How do these devices connect to an iphone and can they be used for
backup of files?

The ones I have seen plug into the lightning port on the bottom of the
device and have a USB port on the other end. I've not used one, but I'm
pretty sure they'll do what you want. Here's one such device:

http://tinyurl.com/mlh7r2f

They have to be powered devices. Apple can not power the USB device from
the port. At least since gen 3.

Keyser Soze wrote:
On 3/30/17 11:00 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 3/30/2017 8:01 AM, Keyser Soze wrote:

wrote:

[...]

His question was, "Does the Apple stuff allow use of *sd* cards for
storage?"

One of the reasons I don't like Apple products is that you often have to
do it Apple's way, using Apple manufactured accessories.

That's one of the reasons why Apple devices are more reliable. My laptop
is about four years old, with a 512-gig solid state hard drive, 8 gigs
of RAM and it also holds in a slot a large SD card on which I have
stored about 50 full-length movies to watch when I travel, and my 4,000
song music library. It's never hiccuped once. The various free OS
upgrades are evolutionary and require little time to update and use.

Most of those Apple accessories are the same as everyone else's except for
a software ID. When I worked at Maxtor we made disk drives for Apple.
Same drive as we made for everybody, but the SCSI ID was different.

wrote:

[...]

Dropping 64GB Micro SD cards INTO my phone and tablet were a hell of a
lot more convenient than that.

wrote:

[...]

He's very good at that.

New laptop... John H[_2_] General 70 July 30th 11 02:24 PM
Laptop GPS Capt. Hiptow Electronics 1 March 26th 06 12:48 AM
GPS and Laptop RGrew176 General 8 May 26th 04 05:04 PM
Laptop Gabriel Latrémouille Cruising 0 February 8th 04 04:01 PM
GPS on my laptop Dennis Vogel ASA 18 November 7th 03 02:57 AM