Default Kettle to boil water

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Get a Revere Ware, S/S teakettle with a copper bottom.

Throw in a handful of glass marbles, pea gravel, etc, which will
prevent calcium deposits from forming when the water boils and
maintain the heat transfer characteristics.

I'll second that, mine's 11 years old. Peeked in it and saw no
deposits, but then I don't use hard water to make coffee!

Bill Kearney wrote:
If you have a generator, then you must have fuel.

Wrong. It would be incredibly impractical, not to mention outright
dangerous, to use gasoline or diesel as a fuel for cooking stoves. One
could also argue against propane or alcohol stoves for the other dangers
they present.

I think his point was that you need fuel to burn the stove anyway, why
not carry alcohol or propane instead of losing efficiency through the
inverter chain?

Stephen

Stephen Trapani wrote in news:gdYIg.427$Wf3.310
@newsfe02.lga:

I think his point was that you need fuel to burn the stove anyway, why
not carry alcohol or propane instead of losing efficiency through the
inverter chain?

Because you don't have to haul tanks of inverter power down the dock in a
car out of the foreign taxi you had to take to get the damned tanks filled.

Diesel to charge the batteries and run the inverter are at the dock and
you're going to charge the batteries, anyways....

The less propane searching and hauling the better, eh?

--
There's amazing intelligence in the Universe.
You can tell because none of them ever called Earth.

On 28 Aug 2006 21:02:07 -0700, "Mark" wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Get a Revere Ware, S/S teakettle with a copper bottom.

Throw in a handful of glass marbles, pea gravel, etc, which will
prevent calcium deposits from forming when the water boils and
maintain the heat transfer characteristics.

I'll second that, mine's 11 years old. Peeked in it and saw no
deposits, but then I don't use hard water to make coffee!

I can't remember if the copper bottom stretches through to the inside
of the bottom - I think not.
IF it does however, it is better to let the copper attract some cover,
not keep it bright.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

You must drink an awful lot of coffe
to make such experiments worthwile.

wrote:
Thanks for your feedback. My old kettle has been banged around in heavy
weather and still works. Over the years I learned that with the aluminium
kettles they tend to leak at the bottom seam after being banged around too
many times.

Yesterday, I made tests and learned that my home GE electric kettle boiled a
1 quart of water in four minutes and 30 secs.

The expensive SS Langustina with a thick bottom plate did the same at max on
our electric stove top in seven m and 18 secs. The Canadian Tires SS kettle
with thin bottom boiled the 1 quart in eight m and 38 secs.

Testing on propane or alcohol would give different results in timing.

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

wrote in message
I wonder what would be the best and most economical kettle to use to boil
water while cruising.
For year I have used an aluminium enclosed kettle with a whilst on a
Origo non pressurized alcohol stove.
I did not any better ( and still do) and was satisfy with the time to
bring water to a boil, the pouring and the filling.
Today I am looking at propane and the purchase of a new kettle and I
wonder what would be the best buy?
On a long cruise/crossing the more time it takes to bring water to a
boil means more propane.

The kettle you've been using should work just fine. Personally, I prefer
stainless steel, and I think you'll find that it retains heat longer than
aluminum, but to each their own.

Good observation "You must drink an awful lot of coffee to make such
experiments worthwhile. "
We drink on average 2 to 3 cups per day. The issue is fuel. With my
existing boat I can only carry so much.
We cruise the St. John river system, Bay of Fundy, South shore of Nova
Scotia and the State of Maine. The Marinas are few and far between. They
do not always have alcohol or propane. During the hot summer months a non
pressurized alcohol stove, even when not in use, will lose fuel by
evaporation. Hopefully I will have two ten pounds propane tanks on board my
next boat.

oups.com...

wrote:
Thanks for your feedback. My old kettle has been banged around in heavy
weather and still works. Over the years I learned that with the aluminium
kettles they tend to leak at the bottom seam after being banged around
too
many times.

Yesterday, I made tests and learned that my home GE electric kettle
boiled a
1 quart of water in four minutes and 30 secs.

The expensive SS Langustina with a thick bottom plate did the same at max
on
our electric stove top in seven m and 18 secs. The Canadian Tires SS
kettle
with thin bottom boiled the 1 quart in eight m and 38 secs.

Testing on propane or alcohol would give different results in timing.

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

wrote in message
I wonder what would be the best and most economical kettle to use to
boil
water while cruising.
For year I have used an aluminium enclosed kettle with a whilst on a
Origo non pressurized alcohol stove.
I did not any better ( and still do) and was satisfy with the time to
bring water to a boil, the pouring and the filling.
Today I am looking at propane and the purchase of a new kettle and I
wonder what would be the best buy?
On a long cruise/crossing the more time it takes to bring water to a
boil means more propane.

The kettle you've been using should work just fine. Personally, I
prefer
stainless steel, and I think you'll find that it retains heat longer
than
aluminum, but to each their own.

Larry wrote:
wrote in
:

I wonder what would be the best and most economical kettle to use to
boil water while cruising.
For year I have used an aluminium enclosed kettle with a whilst on a
Origo non pressurized alcohol stove.
I did not any better ( and still do) and was satisfy with the time to
bring water to a boil, the pouring and the filling.
Today I am looking at propane and the purchase of a new kettle and I
wonder what would be the best buy?
On a long cruise/crossing the more time it takes to bring water to a
boil means more propane.

http://tinyurl.com/kepnp

Sunbeam Hot Shot - $20. Makes 16 oz of boiling water in 1 minute and 20
seconds off the 1KW inverter, just right for hot drinks. Its
construction makes it easy to bungee to the bulkhead near the sink on a
semi-permanent basis. Uses 850 watts/13V=65A x .0222hrs = 1.45AH. Just
like the microwave heating a sandwich, it uses almost no battery power at
all between charging cycles. Propane usage = ZERO. No hauling gas for
it down that long dock.

Oh, that little bugger makes wonderful instant coffee for the
midwatch....(c;

The tank is aluminum and the tight fitting cover will keep the water from
slopping out AFTER you get it loaded. At sea, we leave it in the sink.
The electrics and heater are all, unlike a coffee pot, in the TOP of it
so leaving it in the sink for a fast fillup that may spill into the sink
is fine. As you are going to empty it every time you use it, unlike a
kettle with water left in it sliding around on the stove, it's no hazard
just sitting there. It weighs lots less than the empty kettle and stores
vertically in minimal space.

--
There's amazing intelligence in the Universe.
You can tell because none of them ever called Earth.

On my old boat I installed a 110VAC/12VDC instahot hot water maker
in the galley, it worked like a champ. I got one intended for an RV, it
was like $100, and no need for an inverter. It was very simple to
install.

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Get a Revere Ware, S/S teakettle with a copper bottom.

Throw in a handful of glass marbles, pea gravel, etc, which will
prevent calcium deposits from forming when the water boils and
maintain the heat transfer characteristics.

I'll second that, mine's 11 years old. Peeked in it and saw no
deposits, but then I don't use hard water to make coffee!

I'll third that! It's the best kettle design ever, with one-hand
operation. Unfortunately it's becoming hard to find.

I can't remember if the copper bottom stretches through to the inside of
the bottom - I think not.
IF it does however, it is better to let the copper attract some cover,
not keep it bright.

AFAIK it's all stainless steel, with copper cladding/plating on the
bottom.

Matt O.

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 17:12:02 -0400, Bill Kearney wrote:

If you have a generator, then you must have fuel.

Wrong. It would be incredibly impractical, not to mention outright
dangerous, to use gasoline or diesel as a fuel for cooking stoves.

I agree about gasoline, but diesel stoves have been used successfully
aboard boats for decades, if not a century. The only problem is they're
smoky and smelly. Kerosene is the same but a little cleaner.

One
could also argue against propane or alcohol stoves for the other dangers
they present.

Alcohol fires can be put out with water. Propane is fine as long as you
use good equipment and keep it in good repair. If it was really so
dangerous, boats would be exploding all over the place -- and they aren't.

Matt O.