Harry Krause

Default SPAMMER Blacklist

This week's list of EMAIL SPAMMERs. If your ISP is on this list, you
cannot send me EMAIL.

3796

webrobot@*

--
Email sent to is never read.
Chuck Tribolet

Harry, I don't know how you developed this list, but I suspect it was
by compiling the From: tags in spam. Most of those are fake anyway,
and there's nothing wrong with those ISPs anti-spam policy.

A fairly simple solution to the spam problem is to install Mozilla and use
the spam filter in its mail reader. It works quite well, especially after
a little simple training: if it misses one (false negative) or marks something
spam that isn't (false positive) one mouse click
corrects both the immediate problem and retrains the filter.

--
Chuck Tribolet

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet

Silicon Valley: STILL the best day job in the world.

"Harry Krause" wrote in message ...
This week's list of EMAIL SPAMMERs. If your ISP is on this list, you
cannot send me EMAIL.

3796

webrobot@*

--
Email sent to is never read.

Harry Krause

Chuck Tribolet wrote:

Harry, I don't know how you developed this list, but I suspect it was
by compiling the From: tags in spam. Most of those are fake anyway,
and there's nothing wrong with those ISPs anti-spam policy.

A fairly simple solution to the spam problem is to install Mozilla and use
the spam filter in its mail reader. It works quite well, especially after
a little simple training: if it misses one (false negative) or marks something
spam that isn't (false positive) one mouse click
corrects both the immediate problem and retrains the filter.

I use Mailwasher, Chuck. Blacklists the crap before it gets to my
Mozilla. I never even see it.

--
Email sent to is never read.
Joe Parsons

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 07:35:59 -0800, "Chuck Tribolet" wrote:

Harry, I don't know how you developed this list, but I suspect it was
by compiling the From: tags in spam. Most of those are fake anyway,
and there's nothing wrong with those ISPs anti-spam policy.

A fairly simple solution to the spam problem is to install Mozilla and use
the spam filter in its mail reader. It works quite well, especially after
a little simple training: if it misses one (false negative) or marks something
spam that isn't (false positive) one mouse click
corrects both the immediate problem and retrains the filter.

Because spam is such a moving target, no one approach is going to. Blacklists,
filters and blackhole lists are all helpful, but no one approach will do the
trick.

I've been a mostly happy Mailwasher user for the last several months. Here are
my spam stats for this past week:

Filters: 8,739
RBL lists: 2,745
Blacklist: 1,524

My mail has been consistently 90% spam.

Although Mailwasher either flags or deletes the mail from the server before I
download it, there is still always the risk of false positives. I had
Mailwasher delete spam without my intervention for about a week, but discovered
I was losing legitimate mail. For me, that's the real outrage about spam.

Joe Parsons

Chuck Tribolet

Mozilla is user-trainable, so the moving target isn't a problem. When it
misses one, you just mark it as spam, Mozilla gets retrained a little, and
it gets dropped in the Junk folder.

--

"Joe Parsons" wrote in message ...
[...]

Joe Parsons

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 20:25:32 -0800, "Chuck Tribolet" wrote:

Mozilla is user-trainable, so the moving target isn't a problem. When it
misses one, you just mark it as spam, Mozilla gets retrained a little, and
it gets dropped in the Junk folder.

Sure--but if you have to be continually retraining your mail client, it kind of
defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

My situation may be a tad different, because of the sheer volume of spam I
receive (close to 1,000 a day). Filters alone won't work for me simply because
so many of the spammers are developing countermesures to evade them.

Ultimately, the only solution to spam is for it to be no longer profitable for
the spammers--that people stop responding ot it.

Joe Parsons
Chuck Tribolet

It's about 97% effective, which means I get about five false positives a day
that require one mouse click each to retrain for.

That's five mouse clicks to make the rest vanish.

[...]

Joe

"Joe Parsons" wrote in message

My situation may be a tad different, because of the sheer volume of spam I
receive (close to 1,000 a day). Filters alone won't work for me simply

because
so many of the spammers are developing countermesures to evade them.

Try using a form mail script instead of a harvestable email address on your
webpage.

noah

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 16:14:29 GMT, Joe Parsons
wrote:

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 20:25:32 -0800, "Chuck Tribolet" wrote:

Mozilla is user-trainable, so the moving target isn't a problem. When it
misses one, you just mark it as spam, Mozilla gets retrained a little, and
it gets dropped in the Junk folder.

Sure--but if you have to be continually retraining your mail client, it kind of
defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

My situation may be a tad different, because of the sheer volume of spam I
receive (close to 1,000 a day). Filters alone won't work for me simply because
so many of the spammers are developing countermesures to evade them.

Ultimately, the only solution to spam is for it to be no longer profitable for
the spammers--that people stop responding ot it.

Joe Parsons

The problem is bigger than that, Joe. Much of the Spam that any
address receives is generated by random address engines. They sit and
spin 24 hours a day, sending spam-mail to every conceivable address.

Additionally, if you make one mistake, email one harvestable database,
you are forever "locked". The only out is to munge headers, or change
your address. It sucks, but that's life.

The change-able:
Regards,
noah

To email me, remove the "OT-" from OT-wrecked.boats.noah.
....as you were. )
Joe Parsons

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 04:21:46 GMT, "Joe" wrote:

"Joe Parsons" wrote in message
.. .

My situation may be a tad different, because of the sheer volume of spam I
receive (close to 1,000 a day). Filters alone won't work for me simply

because
so many of the spammers are developing countermesures to evade them.

Try using a form mail script instead of a harvestable email address on your
webpage.

I get very little spam to the address on my web page.

Joe Parsons