posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default So the boat sank....

So the boat sank , and was raised , and now sits on the hard where I can
buy it for 1/40th of it's prior cost. Hull is fine, sails are good, friends
tell me they can save the engine and the whole cabin is covered in fine
teak; beautiful.

My girlfriend told me the cabin smelled horrid , and I ignored her till
yesterday when I brought an old sailor on board and he said : " It smells
horrid, it's oil and fuel, it's everywhere, and you'll never get it out of
the teak. Never. You'll have to strip it down to the fiberglass. Throw the
boat away."

Is there any way to get diesel fuel out of wood ? Any way to clean the
inside ?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"barret bonden" wrote in message
So the boat sank , and was raised , and now sits on the hard where I can
buy it for 1/40th of it's prior cost. Hull is fine, sails are good,
friends tell me they can save the engine and the whole cabin is covered in
fine teak; beautiful.

My girlfriend told me the cabin smelled horrid , and I ignored her till
yesterday when I brought an old sailor on board and he said : " It smells
horrid, it's oil and fuel, it's everywhere, and you'll never get it out of
the teak. Never. You'll have to strip it down to the fiberglass. Throw the
boat away."

Is there any way to get diesel fuel out of wood ? Any way to clean the
inside ?

If it were just a stain (I say "just" as though that would be something
simple), you might be able to use TSP, but if it's really soaked through, I
don't think there's much you can do. Perhaps talk to someone in a
boatyard... they might have an idea.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 11:23:36 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

[...]

He posted this in some other groups. I recommended he look for a
company similar to the best known one in the U.S., ServPro. They are
used by insurance companies to get smells out of houses that have
burned, etc. They should be able to deodorize and clean the boat for
him

http://www.servpro.com
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"barret bonden" wrote:
* *So the boat sank , and was raised , and now sits on the hard where I can
buy it for 1/40th of it's prior cost. ......

* Is there any way to get diesel fuel out of *wood *? Any way to clean the
inside ?

Sounds to me like 1/40th might not be such a great price for this
boat.
Personally I've turned down FREE boats... some require too much work,
some are not worth the work to begin with.

Unless this boat is special run away. Right now you can buy perfectly
good turn-key boats for 1/8th what they used to sell for... Or maybe
you enjoy years of scut work & spritzing with hazardous chemicals, go
for it but offer 1/140th of the prior cost.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"barret bonden" wrote in message
So the boat sank , and was raised , and now sits on the hard where I can
buy it for 1/40th of it's prior cost. Hull is fine, sails are good,
friends tell me they can save the engine and the whole cabin is covered in
fine teak; beautiful.

My girlfriend told me the cabin smelled horrid , and I ignored her till
yesterday when I brought an old sailor on board and he said : " It smells
horrid, it's oil and fuel, it's everywhere, and you'll never get it out of
the teak. Never. You'll have to strip it down to the fiberglass. Throw the
boat away."

Is there any way to get diesel fuel out of wood ? Any way to clean the
inside ?

Don't worry about it. Give it a good scrub and going over with acetone using
lots of rags that you toss into the trash before they get saturated with the
oil. Then live with what smell remains in the wood.

If you know anything about old sailboats that have a diesel auxiliary they
all smell like diesel fuel and fumes anyway. To me, they all reek. That's
why I wouldn't have a smelly diesel power plant aboard my vessel. But,
owners seem to get used to the stench and don't even notice it themselves
after a while (or they just put up with it because they're dullards). But
the smell of diesel oil and exhaust pollution is responsible for much of the
seasickness that visitors often suffer.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 10:56:54 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote this crap:

If you know anything about old sailboats that have a diesel auxiliary they
all smell like diesel fuel and fumes anyway. To me, they all reek. That's
why I wouldn't have a smelly diesel power plant aboard my vessel. But,
owners seem to get used to the stench and don't even notice it themselves
after a while (or they just put up with it because they're dullards). But
the smell of diesel oil and exhaust pollution is responsible for much of the
seasickness that visitors often suffer.

MINE doesn't smell like diesel fluids. It smells like titties and
beer, and rum, and lipstick.

I should shut up now.

And vote for Palin-Ahhnold in 2012.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.