Default GAS GAUGE STOPPED WORKING

I have a '96 200 HP outboard on a Mastercraft Barefoot 200. All of a
sudden the digital fuel gauge shows empty even though the fuel tank is
full. I have pulled the sending unit out of the tank. It moves up and
down still. I have also cleaned the wire connections at the fuel
tank. Where should I look next?

Can you please reply to .

Thanks,

GS
Jim

Do a resistance check on the sender. If you do not see a change of
resistance when you move it up and down--you need a new
sender--otherwise--if primary power is being received at the gauge--you need
a gauge.

Tony Brooks

wrote in message
I have a '96 200 HP outboard on a Mastercraft Barefoot 200. All of a
sudden the digital fuel gauge shows empty even though the fuel tank is
full. I have pulled the sending unit out of the tank. It moves up and
down still. I have also cleaned the wire connections at the fuel
tank. Where should I look next?

Can you please reply to .

No - others on the group may also be interested.

However - With the tank unit (sender) still firmly fitted to tank (to
prevent petrol fumes getting to area of work) blow all arround the unit to
dispel any lingering fumes. Disconnect sender wire (+) from tank unit & hold
firmly to negative connection.

Turn on ignition, do not start, & watch gauge. If it rises turn off ignition
and you know the gauge and all associated wiring is OK, so you need a new
unit.

If it stays put at empty, turn off ignition and you know you either have a
faulty gauge, blown fuse (if fitted), or an open circuit in the wiring.

12v test lamp to +/bat on gauge & it should light\show battery voltage when
the ignition is on. If not its probably a fuse, but could be any open
circuit between ignition switch and gauge.

If above is OK turn on ignition and, using a short length of wire, connect
the other gauge terminal (the one that goes to the sender) to any suitable
negative. If the gauge rises you have an open circuit between gauge and
sender. If it stays at empty you need a new gauge.

There is some logic in there somewhere, regret I do not have time to lay it
out in an easier form.

Tony Brooks