Ante Topic Mimara

Default A question about boat weight and displacement

writes:
Ante Topic Mimara wrote:

Yes, I can see that adding a trailer will add some weight.
I was just hoping to get some idea of how much, in addition
to determining the weight of the boat as well.

Go to
http://www.loadrite.com
then click on BOAT TRAILERS
then click on ROLLER TRAILERS
then click on "Click here to see our Roller Trailers"
then scroll down to trailers for a 28' boat

You will need a Tandem Axle maybe a Tri-Axle Trailer.
It will weigh at least 2,000 lbs.

Does that help?

Yes and no. It helps in that I have now decided that I cannot
acquire this or any other vessel which suits what I wish to do.
It helps that I now have learned that a boat big enough for how
I wish to use it is being demonstrated to be a boat I cannot use.

It does not help, in that I now apparently will not be able to
become a boater. This is most disappointing to me, as I now do
not know what to do about this. I would like to get a boat that
I can use on the river and lakes in the area, and one that I can
stay on for up to a week at a time. It seems now as if these two
things are totally incompatible to each other.

Perhaps I should now start looking at a small motor home...

I do not like to give this up, as it has been a life long dream
for me to have a small boat like this, but I do not see how I can
do with it what I wish to do.

---
-
Topic-Mimara
Unique in the World!
---

-=-
This message was posted via two or more anonymous remailing services.

Cindy Ballreich

Ante Topic Mimara wrote:

It does not help, in that I now apparently will not be able to
become a boater. This is most disappointing to me, as I now do
not know what to do about this. I would like to get a boat that
I can use on the river and lakes in the area, and one that I can
stay on for up to a week at a time. It seems now as if these two
things are totally incompatible to each other.

Perhaps I should now start looking at a small motor home...

I do not like to give this up, as it has been a life long dream
for me to have a small boat like this, but I do not see how I can
do with it what I wish to do.

There are smaller boats that would probably meet your needs.

You might find it interesting/educational to attend a large boat
show or two. You'll be able to inspect many different kinds of
trailer-able boats and get a much better idea of the features and
specs you will need. You'll be able to get information about
proper tow vehicles and various state requirements. It sounds
like new boats are out of your price range, but you can take the
information you gain out into the used boat market and shop with
more confidence.

Cindy

--
the return email is a spam trap
send legit emails to cindy_at_ballreich_dot_net

Bob Whitaker

I do not like to give this up, as it has been a life long dream

Never give up on your dreams

Perhaps I should now start looking at a small motor home...

I have a better solution for you... get both! Get a sailboat (like
you planned all along) and get a trailer... Here's the magic: when you
put the boat on the trailer you have magically transformed your boat
into a motorhome :-) I know somebody who trailered a 27 foot boat from
Montana to California and back. They camped in parks along the way and
slept on the boat! They had the most interesting RV at any National
Park! Was a hit with all the kids!

I would like to get a boat that I can use on the river and lakes
in the area, and one that I can stay on for up to a week at a time.
It seems now as if these two things are totally incompatible to each
other.

Not really... It depends on the boat as mentioned by another post.
There are many boats that match your criteria... and I will mention
one that I am very familiar with: a Cal-25. This boat was designed to
be trailerable, having an 8 foot beam and 4000 lb displacement. I'm
not saying it's easy to trailer (no boat that size is)... But it's
certainly possible. Unfortunately you are talking about long-ish
distances, so it's not something that you will be able to do spur of
the moment for an afternoon sail... but it is certainly possible.

As mentioned by other posts, you need to make sure the ramp at your
destination can handle the boat. With boats this size, you can not
"back up" your car until the boat floats. Instead, you need to launch
in several steps. First you back up the tow vehicle until it can't go
any further. At this point your trailer is mostly under water (but the
water is probably just barely touching the stern of the boat). Then
you attach a long (strong) rope to the trailer and to your tow
vehicle. Then you lift the ball off the hitch, and you let the trailer
keep on rolling down the ramp... the trailer will move rather slowly
because it started out partially submerged... Eventually the trailer
will be completely submerged, and the boat will float off... then you
pull the trailer out of the water with the rope. It is not uncommon to
need about 30 feet of rope to get the boat to float off. Needless to
say, you need to make sure the ramp is long enough for this maneuver.

I'll continue my pitch for the Cal-25 since I'm fond of this little
boat, but like I said earlier, there's probably lots of other
trailerable sailboats that would work just fine for you. For example,
people trailer J-24's all the time (but the interior of the J24 is
very small compared to the Cal-25).

One interesting fact about the Cal-25 is that this boat has
circumnavigated the world! A fellow by the name of Dave Martin started
out of Seattle, went through the Panama Canal, up the East Coast, back
to the Caribbean, got married along the way, and had several kids
enroute as they circumnavigated the world! Whew! If the boat is big
enough for a family of 4, then it's probably big enough for your
dreams. Now, before you start dreaming of circumnavigation, be advised
that the Cal-25 is a great little coastal cruiser, but you wouldn't
want to stray too far offshore with it unless you have made
modifications to prevent getting swamped (the companionway is too big
and the lazarette lockers lead directly into the cabin).

Check out this site for plenty of pictures of Cal-25's. Somewhere in
there you will find a link talking about Dave and Jaja Martin:

http://www.cal25.com

Another great thing about Cal-25's is that there were tons of them
built, and they are old, and they are relatively inexpensive (I know
of at least two that have been given away for FREE). Of course,
nothing is free in life... if the boat is being given away for free,
expect to put a lot of elbow grease and $$ to bring it back to life.
If there is water damage to the bulkheads, you may need to completely
tear them apart and rebuild the interior yourself. But if you do this,
you end up with a brand new interior you can be proud of, and it will
be exactly the way YOU like it. But, of course, you definitely need to
enjoy woodworking and craftmanship in order to acquire a project
boat... It's not for the faint of heart. If it's something you enjoy,
go for it!

Another caveat about trailering is that you'll have to deal with
raising and lowering the mast everytime you want to trailer the boat
(and this is no small feat). Raising the mast on a Hobie 16 catamaran
is easy, but it starts getting tricky and dangerous as you move up to
larger boats. Stepping the mast can be easy if you are a member of a
Yacht Club with a crane, but you will have to be resourceful if you
are not (or if your destination does not have a crane). Someone I know
modified a Cal-25 mast by adding his own pivot (hinge) at the base,
allowing him to raise and lower the mast single-handed while motoring
from his slip to where he sails (he has to go under a couple of low
bridges). Definitely get good advise and experience before attempting
this yourself Do not try this at home

That's my two cent's worth... I'm not saying that you should
definitely get a Cal-25... If I talked your ear off about Cal-25's in
this post is because I have lots of experience with one and love it...
The main reason for bending your ear off was to fuel your dreams and
to convince you that you can follow your dreams with the right boat.
So the short answer is YES: you can get a boat that is legal to
trailer without permits and that is big enough to live on board for a
week (or more).

Don't lose your dreams!

Bob Whitaker
"Free Spirit"

Ante Topic Mimara ] wrote in message news:OU0BPNBY38079.4440625@anonymous...
writes:
Ante Topic Mimara wrote:

[...]

Ante Topic Mimara

Bob Whitaker writes:

Ante Topic Mimara wrote:

I do not like to give this up, as it has been a life long dream

Never give up on your dreams

Oh, I am a troll (according to some people) and as we all know,
trolls live under bridges, and do not have the right to learn
how to cruise on a boat. Trolls are all fake, nasty, and should
be shunned.

Of course, I am not really a troll, it is that some people have
to feel better about themselves by standing on top of people like
me, so I get slammed because I cannot defend myself against people
like that.

And one thing you wrote, I am not looking at a sailboat, and I
never was. I was looking for a motor cruiser, but since I cannot
use it the way I wish to, I will have to give up, because everyone
here (except for a few nice people, thank you) seems to want to
keep everyone new like me out of their precious little hobby.

---
-
Topic-Mimara
Unique in the World!
---

-=-
This message was posted via two or more anonymous remailing services.

Ante Topic Mimara

Cindy Ballreich writes:

Ante Topic Mimara wrote:

I do not like to give this up, as it has been a life long
dream for me to have a small boat like this, but I do not
see how I can do with it what I wish to do.

There are smaller boats that would probably meet your needs.

I have looked at several web sites that sell boats, and I have
not seen anything much under 27 or 28 feet that looks like what
I was wanting. Almost all of these boats that are smaller than
this, are all open, and do not have anything inside to sleep
on, or eat, or have heads, or anything. If I could find something
like this, I would be happy, but I have not.

You might find it interesting/educational to attend a large
boat show or two. You'll be able to inspect many different
kinds of trailer-able boats and get a much better idea of the
features and specs you will need. You'll be able to get
information about proper tow vehicles and various state
requirements. It sounds like new boats are out of your price
range, but you can take the information you gain out into the
used boat market and shop with more confidence.

Thank you for this most excellent advice. I am still thinking
that I am going to give this dream up, as I do not think I will
ever find what it is that I looking for, and have had too many
people I have never seen give good advice, decide to call me a
troll. If they are what most boater-people are like, they can
have it.

I would hope that you are what most boater-people are like, since
you have given me good information, but I have seen too many people
be suspicious and hateful.

There are some big boat shows in this part of the country over the
summer, I think. I will do a search on the internet to find out some
more details, and then go and see what they have there.

Thank you again for your good helpful advice. I will take it.

---
-
Topic-Mimara
Unique in the World!
---

-=-
This message was posted via two or more anonymous remailing services.

Ante Topic Mimara

Cindy Ballreich writes:

Ante Topic Mimara wrote:

[...]

A question about boat weight and displacement Ante Topic Mimara Cruising 57 April 4th 04 02:44 PM
A question about boat weight and displacement Ante Topic Mimara Cruising 8 April 2nd 04 12:07 AM
offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 04:23 PM
Boat Displacement Brian D Boat Building 2 July 3rd 03 03:44 AM