posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle

Default Safety kit.

What useful stuff would you put into a waterproof box to take on the river?
The only thing I've actually needed recently was duct tape although a
first-aid kit and kevlar repair kit might be good. I've seen alcohol and
a lighter used to dry a boat so the duct tape will stick.
And what sort of knife isn't going to get me arrested?

--
Eiron.

"Eiron" wrote in message
What useful stuff would you put into a waterproof box to take
on the river?
The only thing I've actually needed recently was duct tape
although a
first-aid kit and kevlar repair kit might be good. I've seen
alcohol and
a lighter used to dry a boat so the duct tape will stick.
And what sort of knife isn't going to get me arrested?

Eiron,

As this group is very low traffic these days, you may want to go
and have a look at http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk , and
follow the link to "Community". The issue of knives was recently
discussed, especially in Scotland.

--
MatSav

posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle

In message
Eiron wrote:

What useful stuff would you put into a waterproof box to take on the river?
The only thing I've actually needed recently was duct tape although a
first-aid kit and kevlar repair kit might be good. I've seen alcohol and
a lighter used to dry a boat so the duct tape will stick.
And what sort of knife isn't going to get me arrested?

Car keys, mobile phone and spectacles. (I can't see detail for first
aid or navigation without thenm.)

Meths, match and duct tape were standard when paddling fibreglass
boats, although Sylglas (roof repair tape) is also good, as it will
stick to wet surfaces. It needs petrol to remove it afterwards, and
works best on the inside of the boat, otherwise the next rock will
scrape it off. I did once set fire to a boat while drying it, and had
to put it back in the river before starting again...

The answer to the knife question will depend on which country you are
in. I believe legally a blade of less than three inches in length is
acceptable in the UK, as long as it is not sprung. These days you
might want to look for a seat-belt cutter, where the blade is
shrouded. They will cut medium sized ropes, probably up to throwlne
size, although I haven't tried that. The size of the gap in the shroud
determines what thickness line can be cut.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire

http://www.nckc.org.uk/

Eiron wrote:
What useful stuff would you put into a waterproof box to take on the river?
The only thing I've actually needed recently was duct tape although a
first-aid kit and kevlar repair kit might be good. I've seen alcohol and
a lighter used to dry a boat so the duct tape will stick.
And what sort of knife isn't going to get me arrested?

--
Well, the alcohol(meths?) doesn't need to be in a waterproof box, just
a decent fuel bottle, but it's really useful stuff to carry anyway.

Neil
(reply here please)

Useful safety concept? Chuck Gould General 47 December 1st 06 07:29 PM
Night safety Galen Hekhuis General 1 May 29th 05 03:43 PM
Think Safety! Joe ASA 2 March 31st 05 12:40 AM
Help with whitewater safety [email protected] General 7 March 18th 05 12:54 AM
Safety Equipment FS Barve New Whirl General 0 November 17th 04 01:43 AM