posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring

Default Kayak Storage outside

Hi- I recently moved and have to store my kayaks (fiberglass) outside on the
deck. Is there an inexpensive cover to protect them from the sun? I can see
they're already having effects from too much heat and sun. Would a bed sheet
be enough protection.
Thanks for any suggestions- Carol

posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring

"Carol Cooper" wrote in message
. ..
Hi- I recently moved and have to store my kayaks (fiberglass) outside on
the deck. Is there an inexpensive cover to protect them from the sun? I
can see they're already having effects from too much heat and sun. Would a
bed sheet be enough protection.
Thanks for any suggestions- Carol

Target sells tarps of different sizes for very reasonable prices. That and
regular use of 303 spray should be ample protection.

--
-Don
Ever had one of those days where you just felt like:

posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring

For winter storage, I cut a tarp in half and taped the pieces end
-to-end to get something sufficiently long and not ridiculously wide. I
wrap the boat, all seams facing down, and wrap the package in a few
places with duct tape. I put the whole cigar up on wood blocks. This
has the advantage of preventing snow from melting and refreezing, which
could do damage. I don't think a sheet would do much good.

Carol Cooper wrote:
I thought maybe a tarp would get funky underneath. I'll try it. Thanks for
the info-

It can, if water gets trapped inside it. IMO, it's preferable not to
wrap the boat, but rather just to suspend a cover over it loosely. All
you need to do is keep the sun off of it, You can prevent water from
getting into the boat by storing it inverted and a simple cockpit cover
will keep critters out.

Brian Nystrom wrote:
Carol Cooper wrote:
I thought maybe a tarp would get funky underneath. I'll try it. Thanks for
the info-

It can, if water gets trapped inside it. IMO, it's preferable not to
wrap the boat, but rather just to suspend a cover over it loosely. All
you need to do is keep the sun off of it, You can prevent water from
getting into the boat by storing it inverted and a simple cockpit cover
will keep critters out.

My plan is to hang the boats upside down under the deck.

posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 07:56:17 -0700, "Carol Cooper"
wrote:

I thought maybe a tarp would get funky underneath. I'll try it. Thanks for
the info-

It can if you don't somehow raise the tarp so it's not sitting right
on the boat. A few chunks of wood properly placed will give it air
room. Don't wrap it. Let the edges hang down so that air can
circulate. You might want to put out guy lines so the tarp can't blow
away.
--

r.bc: vixen
Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher, etc..

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

Davej wrote:
Brian Nystrom wrote:

Carol Cooper wrote:

I thought maybe a tarp would get funky underneath. I'll try it. Thanks for
the info-

It can, if water gets trapped inside it. IMO, it's preferable not to
wrap the boat, but rather just to suspend a cover over it loosely. All
you need to do is keep the sun off of it, You can prevent water from
getting into the boat by storing it inverted and a simple cockpit cover
will keep critters out.

My plan is to hang the boats upside down under the deck.

Chances are that crud will fall through the deck onto the boats. If you
don't mind washing them in the spring, it shouldn't matter. Definitely
cover the cockpits, as there may be all kinds of interesting things
living under the deck.