posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring

Default Pumping

Does anyone sell skirts with holes in them to allow the use of a hand
pump?

posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring

"Davej" wrote...
Does anyone sell skirts with holes in them to allow the use of a hand
pump?

Sure. Just one example at REI:

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...P_PADDLING_TOC

posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring

John Weiss wrote:
"Davej" wrote...
Does anyone sell skirts with holes in them to allow the use of a hand
pump?

Sure. Just one example at REI:

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...P_PADDLING_TOC

Oh, I wonder if those zipper positions would work for a pump?

posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring

"Davej" wrote...

Does anyone sell skirts with holes in them to allow the use of a hand
pump?

Sure. Just one example at REI:

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...P_PADDLING_TOC

Oh, I wonder if those zipper positions would work for a pump?

Dunno; you'd have to look at it.

My Kokotat has a template for a cutout near the front of the skirt. Apparently
they use the same skirt blank as the model with the actual zipper (I did not opt
for the zipper). IIRC, it was advertised specifically for pump access among
other things.

Davej wrote:
Does anyone sell skirts with holes in them to allow the use of a hand
pump?

Maybe Victoria's Secret would have one...

povertybob wrote:
Davej wrote:
Does anyone sell skirts with holes in them to allow the use of a hand
pump?

Maybe Victoria's Secret would have one...

Does Victoria have waterproof line?

Anyone know where waterproof zippers can be bought? I might ask a
friend if she could sew one on.

Davej wrote:

Anyone know where waterproof zippers can be bought? I might ask a
friend if she could sew one on.

You can add a hatch cover like a Beckson in small diameter. Cheaper than a
waterproof zipper. I think there were instructions in Sea Kayaker magazine some
time back. You need to make a ring to attach to the inside and then bolt the
hatch flange to the ring from the top with sealant in between.

Mike

Michael Daly wrote:
Davej wrote:

Anyone know where waterproof zippers can be bought? I might ask a
friend if she could sew one on.

You can add a hatch cover like a Beckson in small diameter. Cheaper than a
waterproof zipper. I think there were instructions in Sea Kayaker magazine some
time back. You need to make a ring to attach to the inside and then bolt the
hatch flange to the ring from the top with sealant in between.

I have had another thought -- maybe something styled after a dry bag?
Maybe a nylon throat with a stiffener sewn on each side? You would
twist the throat four or five turns around the stiffeners and then
velcro it down? It would almost serve as an implosion bar.

Michael Daly wrote:
Davej wrote:

Anyone know where waterproof zippers can be bought? I might ask a
friend if she could sew one on.

You can add a hatch cover like a Beckson in small diameter. Cheaper than a
waterproof zipper. I think there were instructions in Sea Kayaker magazine some
time back. You need to make a ring to attach to the inside and then bolt the
hatch flange to the ring from the top with sealant in between.

I've had another idea, but it makes me a little nervous. What about a
bungee with two nylon hooks that you could stretch across the skirt?
The nylon hooks would hold the skirt lip against the cowling so that
the front of the skirt could be opened without the entire skirt coming
loose. In a wet exit you'd obviously need to pull the bungee off to
release the skirt.

Davej wrote:

I've had another idea, but it makes me a little nervous. What about a
bungee with two nylon hooks that you could stretch across the skirt?

I don't like that.

Here's another approach. Get an old Nalgene 1 liter bottle. This will have to
be a polycarbonate Nalgene (clear or coloured) not a polyethylene (white) one
otherwise glue won't stick. Check that your pump will fit through the neck of
the bottle (my Scotty pump will). Cut the top of the bottle off just below the
shoulder. Cut a hole in the skirt somewhat smaller than the bottle diameter and
fold the neoprene up inside the bottle to the shoulder and glue it in with a
really strong, flexible glue - Aquaseal or 3M5200 fast cure; sand the bottle
where glue will go for better adhesion. Now you've got an opening that is
watertight and cheap. The standard Nalgene bottle top has a ring to keep it
attached to the bottle so no tether is required.

Mike