johnhh

Default Best combination settee/matreess foam

The discussion on best mattress foam got me going on this. My settee folds
into a bed which is where I sleep, but it is awfully hard. I can't go
beyond 4" thick with it. Any suggestions for a more comfortable solution?

thanks
john

These things are bulky to store but try one or two layers of "egg
crate" foam covered with a cotton quilted mattress pad. It can make a
world of difference in comfort.

We replaced our foreberth foam last year, and were confronted by too
many choices. Go to a good foam or upholstry shop (furniture, not
boat) and ask. They'll usually lay some foam samples on a table and
let you sit/lay/jump on them. You can then choose either a single 4"
foam, or you can have them laminate foams together -- soft on top, firm
beneath -- for a custom feel.

Some people swear by natural latex, but it's no more resistant to
mildew, and costs MUCH more than poly.

Sleep tight!

johnhh

I had been hoping to avoid that soultion because of the bulk.

wrote in message
oups.com...
These things are bulky to store but try one or two layers of "egg
crate" foam covered with a cotton quilted mattress pad. It can make a
world of difference in comfort.

Jere Lull

In article ,
"johnhh" wrote:

The discussion on best mattress foam got me going on this. My settee
folds into a bed which is where I sleep, but it is awfully hard. I
can't go beyond 4" thick with it. Any suggestions for a more
comfortable solution?

That's the reason the second thing we do when surveying a boat is try
the permanent berths out for size. Anything used for two distinct
purposes has to be a compromise. With only 4", I'd tend toward harder.

You might try one trick my wife likes, putting a sleeping bag or blanket
under the sheets.

--
Jere Lull
Don White

Jere Lull wrote:
snip...

With only 4", I'd tend toward harder.

Good for you Jerry. Most men would have problems admiting this on a
public forum.. ;-)

Sorry...couldn't let that pass!
johnhh

I definitely tried the perm out for size first. In fact, I chartered for a
week before I bought. Like they say, everything about a boat is a
compromise. I have since decided that I like the settee better. I am going
to try a 2" memory pad on top.

"Jere Lull" wrote in message
In article ,
"johnhh" wrote:

The discussion on best mattress foam got me going on this. My settee
folds into a bed which is where I sleep, but it is awfully hard. I
can't go beyond 4" thick with it. Any suggestions for a more
comfortable solution?

That's the reason the second thing we do when surveying a boat is try
the permanent berths out for size. Anything used for two distinct
purposes has to be a compromise. With only 4", I'd tend toward harder.

You might try one trick my wife likes, putting a sleeping bag or blanket
under the sheets.

--
Jere Lull

Gary

johnhh wrote:
I definitely tried the perm out for size first. In fact, I chartered for a
week before I bought. Like they say, everything about a boat is a
compromise. I have since decided that I like the settee better. I am going
to try a 2" memory pad on top.

"Jere Lull" wrote in message

In article ,
"johnhh" wrote:

The discussion on best mattress foam got me going on this. My settee
folds into a bed which is where I sleep, but it is awfully hard. I
can't go beyond 4" thick with it. Any suggestions for a more
comfortable solution?

That's the reason the second thing we do when surveying a boat is try
the permanent berths out for size. Anything used for two distinct
purposes has to be a compromise. With only 4", I'd tend toward harder.

You might try one trick my wife likes, putting a sleeping bag or blanket
under the sheets.

--
Jere Lull

On the boat that I Skipper, we put 4" memory foam on all the bunks and
the crew loves it. It is pricey but comfy.

Gary